Can I run a small saw bench on my mini tractor?

evergreen

I've been using a Hakki Pilke Eagle saw bench this winter which fits a treat on the back of my 35hp AGT Alpine tractor. I put the hand throttle on about 1200rpm (just a bit above tickover) and it'll run the 700mm saw all day on a couple of litres of red diesel. The Eagle is also fitted with a scroll-type splitter and I must say I'm extremely impressed with the whole piece of kit. It's really quick to use and will go through oak and ash branches up to 9" thick like a knife through butter (the saw has tungsten teeth -- an option well worth it). Frankly, looking at what's on Ebay for £750, I'd go for this every time. Cost was around £1,350.

The only thing I'd say is ensure the PTO is as straight as possible. The Alpine tractor's PTO is quite low so I had the saw bench modifed to drop down the 90degree gearbox by about 7". It works a treat now -- very smooth. I can recommend it -- very productive if you chop coppiced wood (it would be no good on big pancakes).

Best wishes,

JR

597658f114cf1_logcuttings.jpg.b3b19a59c5d3ab7cb3e0135f370d58a6.jpg

It works a treat now -- very smooth. I can recommend it

Hey, have been thinking very seriously about one of these myself (about 2k euro in Ireland though). The next model up with an auto hydraulic splitter is just a little out of my budget to justify what is essentially a small operation.

Just wondering - does the guard housing around that blade allow for double cutting i.e. on say a 20'' log cut half way through and then rotated and finished off? Haven't seen one in action yet.

Happy logging mate :thumbup1:

It's designed to take logs up to about ten inches or so; maybe a bit bigger. You couldn't use it on anything of 20" -- not because of the saw size but because the holder that carries the logs is not wide enough to let that size log sit in it. But, as I say, small stuff -- brilliant.

Ok thanks, i assumed the holder was a standard 'V' shape. I wonder if the holder could be modified easily for bigger double cutting requirements. Must see if the Palax 55 is designed differently or bring a big lump with me to a demo.

Wicked little tractor mate btw, don't tell my old 35 though :thumbup1:

• 2 weeks later...
I've been using a Hakki Pilke Eagle saw bench this winter which fits a treat on the back of my 35hp AGT Alpine tractor. I put the hand throttle on about 1200rpm (just a bit above tickover) and it'll run the 700mm saw all day on a couple of litres of red diesel. The Eagle is also fitted with a scroll-type splitter and I must say I'm extremely impressed with the whole piece of kit. It's really quick to use and will go through oak and ash branches up to 9" thick like a knife through butter (the saw has tungsten teeth -- an option well worth it). Frankly, looking at what's on Ebay for £750, I'd go for this every time. Cost was around £1,350.

The only thing I'd say is ensure the PTO is as straight as possible. The Alpine tractor's PTO is quite low so I had the saw bench modifed to drop down the 90degree gearbox by about 7". It works a treat now -- very smooth. I can recommend it -- very productive if you chop coppiced wood (it would be no good on big pancakes).

Best wishes,

JR

Thanks John, looks good. I think that might be just what we are after. Cheers Nick