Any ideas what has caused this?

bjam1964

Thanks for that reply Rob.

Next million dollar question - what are the implications for structural strength?

Obviously vascular activity is still taking place but can the long term implications for the tree be predicted based on current knowledge and known examples of graft failures?

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for that reply Rob.

Next million dollar question - what are the implications for structural strength?

Obviously vascular activity is still taking place but can the long term implications for the tree be predicted based on current knowledge and known examples of graft failures?

Thats a BIG question, one that i do not believe anyone is going to stick thier neck out on.

Grafts are known to fail, but the question is have these failures had any microscopic alterations via early stage fungal colonisations?

I dont think anyone knows yet, certainly there is no serious research that i know of.

I'm convinced that is not a graft, and is rather the result of decay and the associated buckling and adaptive growth.

Any poor graft I've ever seen of Aesculus ends up resulting in a big "elephant's foot"-style rootstock with a much more sickly stem and tree. Part of the point of selecting a rootstock is that it will be of a more vigorous variety or species than the tree you're trying to propagate. I can't think of an instance where I've seen a small rootstock with a larger tree growing out of it.

In terms of graft "issues" I've certainly seen a great many scabby graft on top-worked prunus etc. I think like so many things the take of the graft will be a function of the skill of the nurseryman.

I'm convinced that is not a graft, and is rather the result of decay and the associated buckling and adaptive growth.

Any poor graft I've ever seen of Aesculus ends up resulting in a big "elephant's foot"-style rootstock with a much more sickly stem and tree. Part of the point of selecting a rootstock is that it will be of a more vigorous variety or species than the tree you're trying to propagate. I can't think of an instance where I've seen a small rootstock with a larger tree growing out of it.

In terms of graft "issues" I've certainly seen a great many scabby grafts on top-worked prunus etc. I think like so many things the take of the graft will be a function of the skill of the nurseryman.

I can only guess with the evidence infront of me it has a Huge canopy for the size of stem, and the field side is heavier, going by the leaf drop and it being on the outside and the reaction wood in the buttress , my advanced Arboricultural knowledge would hazard a guess and say the crown is to heavy for the trunk and it is buckling :biggrin:

I can only guess with the evidence infront of me it has a Huge canopy for the size of stem, and the field side is heavier, going by the leaf drop and it being on the outside and the reaction wood in the buttress , my advanced Arboricultural knowledge would hazard a guess and say the crown is to heavy for the trunk and it is buckling :biggrin:

That is NOT how stress symptoms would reveal themselves in the scenario you depict!

There would be tension and bark delaminations on the tension side, and compressions on the leeward or compression side! there is |NEVER 100% optimal force distribution:001_smile:

That is NOT how stress symptoms would reveal themselves in the scenario you depict!

There would be tension and bark delaminations on the tension side, and compressions on the leeward or compression side! there is |NEVER 100% optimal force distribution:001_smile:

squashed tree butt syndrome mate, happens all the time up here:biggrin: