cutting hedges in cold conditions ?

egs

They will recover, but its not a great time to do it. I have a few customers that think this is the time of year for trimming hedges. The only reason they think this is because gardeners trim hedges in the winter cos they got nothing else to do. It doesn't mean this is the right time.

Hedges would prefer not to be trimmed at all, they would rather be trees, so there is no "right time" to do it. Put them off till summer if you can.

Personally I only trim hedges in July August when I've got nothing else to do and I can wear shorts!

i personally cut last hedges in november time as the are dormant i cant se a problem the benefit i explain to the customer is that they will not grow again til spring and look good untill early summer certain hedges i cut more often.

i find leylandii lasts all year i cut in october november when dormant and leave it till the following year some customers want them cutting in summer but i try and educate them that if i cut it know as if you cut anything its the plants response to shoot and grow again. so if cut in the summer it will need cutting again in autumn. if you leave it in the summer it wont grow a great deal more normally its hit its growth peak and will stay as it is till its dormant. then thats the time to cut it.

for privet and hawthorn to keep them tidy and easier to cut i suggest regular cut 3 to 4 a year, and each time is relatively easy. some gardens i go to insist on trimming there hawthorn hedge every few weeks and it takes seconds