New ISA site

Steve Bullman

Total Arb is really just the house mag for Buxtons / Arbessentials. Euroarb is a better bet IMO. As an advertiser I'd be interested to know if anyone takes much notice of print anymore. It seems that this sort of forum is the best source of information along with the websites of suppliers and various organisations associated with the industry.

I agree that a lot of information that is on the web is as up to date as it can be, but as was pointed out by Nick, you need to be able to find it! Forums are good because there are a lot of different strands coming together, you will see info that you would not otherwise notice and get the weblink too. Having said that I think that magazines still have a place - but they need to change. More features less news? More comment less PR? More specific info? Analylsis, product tests? Perhaps they should be told, if not they will continue to churn out crap about 'how to sharpen a chain', or the like, really if you are in the business I would think you would know. Its just an easy way to fill pages. I think they should try harder.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree that a lot of information that is on the web is as up to date as it can be, but as was pointed out by Nick, you need to be able to find it! Forums are good because there are a lot of different strands coming together, you will see info that you would not otherwise notice and get the weblink too. Having said that I think that magazines still have a place - but they need to change. More features less news? More comment less PR? More specific info? Analylsis, product tests? Perhaps they should be told, if not they will continue to churn out crap about 'how to sharpen a chain', or the like, really if you are in the business I would think you would know. Its just an easy way to fill pages. I think they should try harder.

Thanks for your comments. I guess the mags have to try and cover different levels of knowledge and experience etc. What does anyone think of the established forestry titles like FBT/essential arb or FTN? Or some of the newer ones trying to include arb content like Forest Machine Journal?

copareing like for like... not wanting to diss any mag they have all become advertoirals... it is god see what some forward look peple see as old stuff, the stuff we all take for granted is some what little under stood.... Andy has cover what he knows well and done that well, Nick has just done some good basic stuff on throw lines and friction savers and Ian has done a good basic revision on saw... All good stuff, you may not take it all away as new i have found that more and more. but a nuget of infomation is gold when it give a polish or turned in the light so you can see it a differnt way.

I feel we need to consolidate and spread better baisc knowelge to give the industry a better foundation to stand up on to face the bigger chanages.

copareing like for like... not wanting to diss any mag they have all become advertoirals... it is god see what some forward look peple see as old stuff, the stuff we all take for granted is some what little under stood.... Andy has cover what he knows well and done that well, Nick has just done some good basic stuff on throw lines and friction savers and Ian has done a good basic revision on saw... All good stuff, you may not take it all away as new i have found that more and more. but a nuget of infomation is gold when it give a polish or turned in the light so you can see it a differnt way.

I feel we need to consolidate and spread better baisc knowelge to give the industry a better foundation to stand up on to face the bigger chanages.

My point was that maybe the magazines need to look at subjects from a different angle rather that rehashing the same old stuff on a yearly basis, or as in the case of the ISA and fruit trees, blatent opportunism to make a quick buck. seems to be little integrity in the mags.

Thanks for the word about Total Arb to, when you look at it it is obvious that is owned by a shop/dealer, makes me wonder what the ISA gets for sending it out to members?

One point I'd like to pick up on, in relation to re-hashing old topics in magazines, is that just because we've read it over and over, throughout the years, many havent. There are many new folk coming into the trade every year, and these articles may help to refresh their memories over even the simplest things, such as saw maintenance. BUT things do need to move on as well. perhaps some of the contributors to the magazines, willo read these threads in here, and use it to further their own needs.