Woods in decline

A lot of smaller woodlands suffer from lack of maintenance; also, shooting brings in a lot more £££ than any crop would for many woodland owners, so gamekeepers rather than foresters or coppicers tend to dictate what happens.

:dito: The gamekeepers do have alot of say, Like you said it mostly comes down to what generates the most money. We got told we could coppice sweet chestnut by someone and next minute the gamekeeper finds out and then all stopped.:mad1:

:dito: The gamekeepers do have alot of say, Like you said it mostly comes down to what generates the most money. We got told we could coppice sweet chestnut by someone and next minute the gamekeeper finds out and then all stopped.:mad1:

Sounds familiar. I've seen some potentially great hazel ruined because the gamekeeper has cut so many tracks and rides that almost every stool is on the edge of a block. Nothing will grow straight.

As I manage a woodland that is predominantly used for shooting, (thats what brings BIG money in) I work closely with the keepers. They require a "warm" woodland for the birds, with a good understorey. The hazel, sycamore, etc is coppiced on rotation to thicken up the under-storey. In the past the woods were managed by firewood buyers, so they stripped the woods of the good straight stuff, and left the crappier stuff standing, as it wasnt worth their time cutting it. By working with the keepers, I find out what the best thing is to do for their requirements on each plot, then discuss with the owner and land agent the best course of action, so it is a combined decision. The rides are long established, so there are no issues with unnecessary clearances.

I to have game keepers but on a whole we work well together.This year they have been controling the squirrells. I have now put rides in all my woods and also putting in a lot of glades which brings back flowers but the pheasants also use them to dry in wet weather. in one wood i have brought back herb paris and early purple orchids.As the retired keeper once told me a wood is split three ways, shooting, timber and conservation.

• 2 years later...