question about weight/money

dorset gardener

quite new to this lark, doing my sums,

been offered 50 tons of beach cordwood at 50 pounds a ton, does anyone have an estimate how many loads this would generate and then how much we should charge per load ?

any advice welcome

Depends on how big your loads are. Heres an example: my hilux load is 1.2cubic metres. Its been said on here that you get 1.5 cubic metres per ton. Is the beech green or seasoned as green is obviously much heavier. £ 50 per ton , is that delivered? If you are new to the game, give this year a miss, get it cheaper later and season it for next year.

You should get between 18-20 tons on a lorry, more if it has a trailer. Depending on distance the minimum that a lorry load will cost to transport is about £170 ish, unless you can strike a deal or the lorry is in the already in the area.

£50 per ton seams a little expensive, but if it is good straight trunks with a minimum of knots it might be worth it. If i was buying it i would not pay over £30 per m3 for timber as the transport ceases to make it economic.

I would also buy it by the m3 as this is a constant ,and easier to work out. The weight of the wood will go up and down depending on moisture content.

Good luck.

hello again,

thank you for advice

any thoughts on these sums?

buy 50 tons of wood at 50 pounds per ton = 2500 pounds plus delivery, so say 3000 pounds

50 tons of wood generates 75 loads approx of about 1.2m3

each load sells for 90 pounds delivered ?

75 x 90 = 6750

is that basically what we're talking about ?

hello again,

thank you for advice

any thoughts on these sums?

buy 50 tons of wood at 50 pounds per ton = 2500 pounds plus delivery, so say 3000 pounds

50 tons of wood generates 75 loads approx of about 1.2m3

each load sells for 90 pounds delivered ?

75 x 90 = 6750

is that basically what we're talking about ?

If you can get £90 per load ,then your sums are right. One thing you have missed, the hard graft to turn 50 tons of cord into 75 loads of logs. Check your local log merchants to make sure you can charge £90. In my area £60-£75 is the going rate.

If you can get £90 per load ,then your sums are right. One thing you have missed, the hard graft to turn 50 tons of cord into 75 loads of logs. Check your local log merchants to make sure you can charge £90. In my area £60-£75 is the going rate.

I'm managing £70 delivered on 1m3 seasoned willow at the moment so should get £90 for dry hardwood, but as said check locally.:thumbup1: