Rope access course

Lancstree

I get these urges now and then to try something new. A mate of mine went and did his rope access training and is now working on the rigs earning big dollar. The training cost him about £3000 but he made it back quickly. I was thinking of maybe doing the Rope Access Technician - IRATA level 1 but I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with this and what sort of jobs they've got through it?

What would you do when you become IRATA qualified. i'm not sure what skills are required. I thought about it then i figured i can't weld, i can burn stuff with bottles but its not really a skill is it

Jamie

I saw those guys on the news a few months back cleaning the face of big ben, that looked like good fun. Actually with recession looming working on the rigs doesn't seem like a bad idea, lets face it the oil companies aint exactly short at the mo.

i thought about rope access window cleaning, then i figured its just window cleaning but hanging from a rope. i enjoy trees for the challenge.

this thread ain't about me

Jamie

Looked into it here in Brazil it is the same course by the same people IRATA. I am still not sure how it works finding work after or if you need other qualifications to do some of the well paid rope access work like on the oil rigs, it is something interesting I think but I am in the same boat dont know alot about finding work after you do the course and so on.

A mate of mine got into rope access about a year ago. He's level 2 now and making good money on land based work. He stayed away from the rigs as he didn't have a trade / other qualification. If he had gone on the rigs he would've been chipping rust with a needle gun or painting, 2 weeks of that in the north sea, no thanks.

If you want to make really good money on the rigs, get a qual in non destructive testing. These guys test the structure of the rig with ultra sound kits, and tend to only work summer contracts, cos thats all they have to.

Did two years of rope access cleaning work. Window cleaning is great for about two drops then it is a bit mind numbing. Did some blast cleaning and maintenance work rigging banners and stuff that was better. options are;.

1. Tree climbing = Fresh air, different work site, varied work, questionable money

2. Rig Work = North sea. same rig, Probaly same work(painting) long stints at sea, great money.

I know its not all that but you gotta think hard before laying out the money for an IRATA course.

I knew there would be a bit of diversity in the jobs you could go into with rope access training and experience. I'm thinking it would be good to do something in the winter but somewhere warm..

What about setting up aerial access equipment for filming in rainforest canopy, I wonder how they get into that kind of work?