Fomes flying high

David Humphries

understood completely:thumbup: i'm like a little excited kid at christmas at the moment with all this learning and sometimes my enthusiasm gets a little bit carried away and i'm easily distracted (hence being on here and not writing my pruning booklet assignment)

back to the thread... what is fomes nigricans? is it related and can fomes fomentarius also be confused with phellinus agnarius??

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

back to the thread... what is fomes nigricans? is it related and can fomes fomentarius also be confused with phellinus agnarius??

I think you may be refering to & mixing up Phellinus (i)gnarious & Phellinus nigricans?

Both can resemble Fomes fomentarius a little.

Which resource are you using?

Ah, yes we talked about the Tree in question. Thought there was something familiar with it. Thats à cracking pic of Pleurotus! Was the signs of decay the same or different from your usual findings of Fomes?

From the small section that this one came off, it's been typical of noted decay strategy of white rot.

But to be honest Tobias, the majority of Fomes I've ever come across have still been in situe on intact wood, so haven't really had a lot of experience having a look at the decay close up.

The branch this one came off, hasn't been entirely recovered yet.

I'll try & get hold of it before we clear up the site.

From the small section that this one came off, it's been typical of noted decay strategy of white rot.

But to be honest Tobias, the majority of Fomes I've ever come across have still been in situe on intact wood, so haven't really had a lot of experience having a look at the decay close up.

The branch this one came off, hasn't been entirely recovered yet.

I'll try & get hold of it before we clear up the site.

What looks like intact wood is often a dysfunctional column, often seen as the fruit bodies follow a helical pattern, maybe associated with a dying/dead root connected to the vascular system within the portions of wood where the fungi are. intense white rot I would asume similar to that of igniarius but not quiet as aggressive in strategy:001_smile:

What looks like intact wood is often a dysfunctional column, often seen as the fruit bodies follow a helical pattern, maybe associated with a dying/dead root connected to the vascular system within the portions of wood where the fungi are. intense white rot I would asume similar to that of igniarius but not quiet as aggressive in strategy:001_smile:

Noted :thumbup1:

Now stop eating your second bowl of coco pops & go get yaself ta work :biggrin:

This threads made me come up with this, hope its useful to somone!

If our fruit bodies presented as in the blue dots we could safely assume the decay is confined to the now dysfunctional ripe/heartwood, and that the trees trunk/stem although now discontinuos is growing just fine.

However, if they presented as in the yellow spots we would have to look at wether it was a dysfunctional column connected to a dead/dying root or wether it was due to the tree as a whole being colonised.

If they track as in the yellow it is usualy a sign that a root has died and the decay may well spread (as with F. fomentarius) right up to high canopy limbs connected and associated with the now dead/dying root. If the tree has plenty of vitality the rot may well in most cases be confined within this "dysfunctional" chamber, weakened by drought or other stresses the rot may penetrate bariers and spread depending on the tree genus and fungal parasite

This is a situation where Thermography comes into its own

597658af14538_Fruitbodies.jpg.3dbd7b6451543060b0e0a323d6a1a07e.jpg