Advertising in supermarkets

Dave Martin

Free Free Homebase rang me up the other day Found your add in a local mag where trying to get local companys to but there flayers up in stores its £9 a week and you agree to a 24month contract I said sounds like a good idea till i found out i would only be in one store when theres 3 in my local area and i would have to get the flyers printed and i would have to do it all my self I said for £9 a week and you have to agree for a 24months You wont get many people saying yes to it

Shop windows are still the best people look at them but in super markets ive just had time wasters looking for cheap free work

most expensive business cards i ever had, i was in focus for 24 months, only had 2 jobs from it. load of bunkam.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You should find you only need to advertise for the first year or so unless you want to expand faster. I have not advertised last year or this as we cant keep up with regular customers and new ones created by word or mouth. Ihave always used free listings on the net and still get 2 or 3 new customers a week. Local free paper called oracle from newbury worked well at £27 for 3-4 week issue. Local news paper at £45 a week complete waste of time. Parish mags waste of time. Pin some cards up in village notice board and schools.

You should find you only need to advertise for the first year or so unless you want to expand faster. I have not advertised last year or this as we cant keep up with regular customers and new ones created by word or mouth. Ihave always used free listings on the net and still get 2 or 3 new customers a week. Local free paper called oracle from newbury worked well at £27 for 3-4 week issue. Local news paper at £45 a week complete waste of time. Parish mags waste of time. Pin some cards up in village notice board and schools.

Its a slow start Steve. I may have made a mistake by waiting 14 months before I started to sell to make sure I had rolling stock of seasoned product. I am getting word of mouth recomendations and have even had a letter from a girl who bought it from me to take to Yorkshire saying `Thank you for the wonderful wood` ( only wish more girls said the same ), but its not taken of as quickly as I thought it might. But I do realise that I need to be patient. Took an order from the postmistress 500 yards from my premises who did not realise that I am now selling firewood. I think I need to SHOUT a little louder about myself.

Its a slow start Steve. I may have made a mistake by waiting 14 months before I started to sell to make sure I had rolling stock of seasoned product. I am getting word of mouth recomendations and have even had a letter from a girl who bought it from me to take to Yorkshire saying `Thank you for the wonderful wood` ( only wish more girls said the same ), but its not taken of as quickly as I thought it might. But I do realise that I need to be patient. Took an order from the postmistress 500 yards from my premises who did not realise that I am now selling firewood. I think I need to SHOUT a little louder about myself.

For local advertising you cant beat a polo shirt and fleece with you logo and business name. It may be worth getting a tipping transit or trailer and offering cu metre loads for £80-£95 . The barrow bags are a good idea but different to what people are used to. Just my thoughts down here every area is different. I am always dead during november as I dont advertise. I was delivering 8 double loads through aug and sep just on saturdays. I will do the same in January when everyone else has run out.

It may be worth getting a tipping transit or trailer and offering cu metre loads for £80-£95 . The barrow bags are a good idea but different to what people are used to.

I will get a tipper eventually if the turnover warrants running two vehicles but on all of the deliveries that I have done so far the Barrow bags were definitely the most convenient option for the customer. Thanks for the input Steve.

I did that and the next time that I visited the store it had been taken down. Assumed it was because they sell nets of logs.

Someone may have taken the card to ring it. I try to leave 8 cards pinned to a board they are £57 for 5000 . Do you get alot of calls that fail to turn into sales or is it just a bit quiet.

Someone may have taken the card to ring it. I try to leave 8 cards pinned to a board they are £57 for 5000 . Do you get alot of calls that fail to turn into sales or is it just a bit quiet.

I leave A5 flyers. I would say that 95% of my calls produce sales ... because I`m a very nice man :biggrin: .... I really do think that I need to pull out all stops to get my website up and running .... would you believe I used to turn over 6 million a year in a former life .... not logs though :001_rolleyes: