Rope Knots for felling leaning Trees.

Matthew Arnold

Just out of interest. What knots do people use when they are felling a leaning tree. We normally use a quick release knot at the tree end and a loop knot with a piece of wood thru the loop knot end so it is easier to undo after the tree has fallen. We have just started to use a knot the somehow i came up with and has never gone wrong. Unlike our quick release. Luckily nothing has been damaged other than a farmers old steel trough.

• 1 year later...

You can always try a Carters Hitch. Old school method, but when stuck a great help. The knot can take a bit of learning but easy when you know. I also use a double fiddle block with a built in rope grab. Mines a Skedco Rescue Hauler, I believe ISC make something similar. I won't go out without it because it gives me a 4-1 advantage every time. And it's so small and compact.

I use the 'hippy knot' - well hippy showed me how to tie it. It really works on high load and comes undone easy. (it may have another name - bit like some old sailor hitches)

Basicly double back the rope allow say 10ft - wrap the doubled rope around the tree twice, then wrap the doubled rope around the pulling line again a couple of times then tuck it in when you doubled it around the tree (you can even tie another rope around the end of the tail, so it can be pulled out as if used for lifting, I used it to errect a sort of totem pole once)

• 2 weeks later...