con or not

ayrshireman

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

if you are unsure then thats ok, be cautious, you have to be when buying or selling things BUT do not go assuming things about some elses business. I have bought things blind over the phone because i WANT them, i dont haggle or waste someones time, this guy could be the same.:001_smile:

But if he is not the same as you a chipper is a big piece of equipment to loose to a complete stranger. Although I have never met you I have seen posts over a long enough period to be able to trust you. The person with the paypal acct you will never meet or be able to trace. :thumbup1:

cash, cash and a bit more cash, if the money is in your hands when you give them the chipper then there is no arguments either way. The only thing i would say is be carefull where you show them the chipper incase they come back when your not there and help themselves to all your tools and leave you the chipper! meet them on a job with it so they can see it working ect.... and you dont get robbed!

If they come to have a look at it ask them if they mind you taking a picture of them and their vehicle. If they got nowt to hide they wont mind. Just bare in mind they might be coming to have a look for now and then return to nick the equipment.

as i said, be cautious:001_smile:. In this instance as there is such a high risk involved if it was to go wrong, i would base your desicion on ' assumption ',( guys dodgey, smell a rat etc) this gets you away from the danger quickly and leaves no room for any mishaps on your sale BUT this is a public forum , so fact carrys a lot more weight, this guy with in 11 posts has had his motives assumed and been judged with unsubstantiated facts. :001_rolleyes:

Sorry to state this but there are a lot of con people around from Africa and based in London. (We had difficult experiences with several in the last 12 months which were reported to the police and auto trader fraud office but none were able to obtain monies or equipment from us)

Who on earth would purchase an expensive item like a woodchipper without viewing at all? The additional concern is using a so called shipping agent. Most people would tow away with their own vehicle and pay in hard earned cash/bankers cheque. Have you spoken to him on the phone?

I agree with some of the above comments regarding safe viewing of the item and where!!!! (Make sure you know who is arriving before and where they live and have a decent lock on the wheel/hitch).

I dont think message got through Under no circumstance whatsoever take paypal on a high value item. If i sell a large item on ebay I say cash on collection please. I cant refuse paypal as its against the ebay rules but I can refund it if they are not happy with collecting and paying cash I relist it. Dont take paypal in or out of fleabay unless its for £50 and you dont care if you loose it a huge proportion of people paying on ebay with paypal for large items are crooks.

i have to thank arbtalk for giving me the heads up, ive followed many threads on here over the past couple of years about cons and conmen, like stephen blair my first instinct hasn't changed i did smell a rat, a quick post on here and find i'am not being that paranoid. i've put up the barbed wire, my daughter is ripping up sheets for bandages and the machine guns are loaded. (really sad, it wasn't like this in my day)

hi guy's need some advice. selling my chipper at the moment,had an e-mail from a guy saying he's a marine engineer,willing to pay full amount without seeing the machine or any trying to haggle about price. he's asking for my pay-pal details and his agent will cover the shipping charges and pick it up. he didn't say where he is.

IT IS A SCAM!!!!!!

had the same thing recently when trying to sell a 4x4.

Its is a ruse to get personal details and/or the kit from you without paying you a bean.