What happens when the lad has a go !

bjam1964

Someone on work experience should be "looked after"

The fact that someone allowed him to do the cut, then allowed him to continue the cut actually placed the lads life in serious danger and he was very lucky he wasnt killed

Had he been killed, you can rest assured someone would be to blame

The first post in this thread indicates he had done his cs31 that to me at college or not should say that he is capable of doing a leaning tree I belive its his mistake to make all be it a costly one if he had been stopped by a supervisor and told to do it the supervisors way he will just learn the supervisors way and I dont think that is what felling or anything in this industry is about we all learn our own ways.

I think the 'blame' instead of being on the original poster then it should be on lantra for not teaching the different types of wood in its cs31 courses.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Someone on work experience should be "looked after"

The fact that someone allowed him to do the cut, then allowed him to continue the cut actually placed the lads life in serious danger and he was very lucky he wasnt killed

Had he been killed, you can rest assured someone would be to blame

Thats the way i see it too, the other way of seeing it is that if you can stand and watch someone do something like this then your own ability is questionable and theres the potential for the same thing happening to yourself.

I think the 'blame' instead of being on the original poster then it should be on lantra for not teaching the different types of wood in its cs31 courses.

I think the blame should be on his supervisor. He should be knowledgeable enough to foresee the consequences of his cutting, stopped him and explained what could happen.

Thankfully they've both learned from this.

I think we should move away from blame.

Its an interesting photo of an interesting incident.

Its one of those fabled "near miss" things that are supposed to be reported....

...and then investigated, in a not-pointing-any-fingers way.

those on site (both cutting and supervising) may of gone home with a few new things to think about.

As its been posted here, we are also able to pick over the bones and chew on the fat.

Turns out we are hungry......

I think we should move away from blame.

Its an interesting photo of an interesting incident.

Its one of those fabled "near miss" things that are supposed to be reported....

...and then investigated, in a not-pointing-any-fingers way.

those on site (both cutting and supervising) may of gone home with a few new things to think about.

As its been posted here, we are also able to pick over the bones and chew on the fat.

Turns out we are hungry......

:thumbup1:

Missed it the first time I looked.

So who felled the first stem?

Was it the lad or someone else?

If it was the lad, how did that one go?

If not, was the lad at hand to watch how it was felled?

I felled the first stem with the lad looking on.

I would agree that direct supervision all of the time would be required for a newbee but, despite calling him the lad (I am old enough to be his father) he has lots of chainsaw skill, time and practice. I have given many students work experience (it is my contribution back to the industry) and this lad was among the best in skills and confidence. We discussed at length the method most suitable for the tree, a pull line was attached and I was manning the winch and talking to the customer with only one eye on the task in hand. Shoot me down in flames if you like but the safest method was discussed, our site specific and task specific risk assessments had been completed and the discussion allowed a dynamic risk assessment to be conducted prior to felling.

For whatever reason (customer watching etc.) the dogs tooth was not implemented and I think this is why he was nervously cutting the tree when it started creaking. Several lessons were learned, debrief and post mortem conducted, we both sighed and laughed and moved on - better for the experience and thankfull things turned out as they did.

His confidence is still strong and I trust him more to do the right thing now he has learnt about consequences.

I felled the first stem with the lad looking on.

I would agree that direct supervision all of the time would be required for a newbee but, despite calling him the lad (I am old enough to be his father) he has lots of chainsaw skill, time and practice. I have given many students work experience (it is my contribution back to the industry) and this lad was among the best in skills and confidence. We discussed at length the method most suitable for the tree, a pull line was attached and I was manning the winch and talking to the customer with only one eye on the task in hand. Shoot me down in flames if you like but the safest method was discussed, our site specific and task specific risk assessments had been completed and the discussion allowed a dynamic risk assessment to be conducted prior to felling.

For whatever reason (customer watching etc.) the dogs tooth was not implemented and I think this is why he was nervously cutting the tree when it started creaking. Several lessons were learned, debrief and post mortem conducted, we both sighed and laughed and moved on - better for the experience and thankfull things turned out as they did.

His confidence is still strong and I trust him more to do the right thing now he has learnt about consequences.

:thumbup:great thread:thumbup:

I have given many students work experience (it is my contribution back to the industry) and this lad was among the best in skills and confidence..

A comendable attitude, & one I share wholeheartedly.

Keep on keeping on.

Experience can't be gained from text books alone (or for the most part, at all)

Blame can not be aportioned via a secondhand account and a few snap shots.

Just putting a thread like this up here shows guts & a commitment to sharing experience.

Good on you :thumbup1:

With regards to the question of suitability to supervise this is a very good question. In fact it is one that I ask myself on a frequent basis as should anyone else in a supervisory position.

With 25 years climbing/felling under my belt in a dangerous industry, 10 lads supervised and launched into successful careers, only a few minor cock-ups along the way :blushing: , tickets/qualifications updated religiously every five years, membership of trade organisations and associations I would like to think I have a little ability/suitability to supervise.

The proof is in the pudding and I hope its still tastes sweet :confused1: