Starting a buisness- some advice!

Will

First off, welcome to the forum greenpaint. I tend to agree with the "old hands" as far as how hard you have to work for the money these days. I dont think its unfair to say that many of the newer lads and lasses will have their work cut out if they wish to be self-employed in this day and age. But then wasnt it always hard earned money? Looking back, we tend to remember the good times, and gloss over the tough times. We are verging on an economic slow-down at the moment, and I think the next couple of years are going to be tough enough for those more experienced, let alone someone just setting out. I, for one, like the idea that I have more control over my future being self-employed, than if were employed. If there is a problem in a company, the staff are the last to know, and may only get a couple of days notice of redundancy. Being self-employed, I can see what work I have ahead, and pull out the stops if necessary to change the future.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dear oh dear, next they'll be saying you cant leave your back door unlocked in case someone turns you over!! Trust is such a big issue these days, its a dog eat dog world, each person looking to improve his lot by what ever means necessary. Such a shame when it comes to the legal eagles making even more money out of us.

Can a small business afford the legal services offered by a company such as Gannons? I doubt it, but can they afford not to?

All this wil do is trap the workforce in a position where they cant move to improve their lot, and keep the wages down.

As far as poaching clients, thats just plain wrong and I do agree that companies do need protection from that.

Sorry didnt mean to offend anyone

In just sat here in the office now looking at the shelves stacked high with paperwork from TPO/ consevation applications, Heath and Safety, vehicle records, employee records, accounts etc etc that is only a small part of what goes into running a business from the office side of things in the good old days the only paperwork you had to worry about was what your chips came wrapped in or what to wipe yer arse on in the woods.

I guess it must be a lot easier for you chaps who have not known any thing else , i sometimes dispair the amount of work we do before we even get near the tree.

I take my hat off to anyone starting out- go for it you control your own destiny

I spent many years working as an employee, seen just about every dirty trick that the management can throw at staff, and vice versa. I have no sympathy for some companies because of the way they treat their staff, and like wise have no sympathy for the staff who misuse the company. This is why I enjoy self-employment, but dont get me wrong, I would never want to run a large business with all the associated headaches, it must be an absolute nightmare these days.

unfortunately you cant protect against human nature.....some people will will act like your best friend, but it wont stop them trying to take your work off you behind your back.

yes, I know of a company where one such individual used to hand out business cards to the clients, needless to say he wasnt around for long.

I concur, unless the clientele base is middle upper classes upwards, much tree work will fall in the luxury category. Who knows what the next year will turn out economically. I am working on premise of running a tight as possible ship so that whatever happens we can weather any storm.