Starting a buisness- some advice!

Will

If your a good climber you will be aware of that feeling when you have just spent the whole day distmantling a huge tree then finding out the massive profit your boss is making from your skills and efforts.

Most companies I know of, the profit isn't that massive..a lot of employees can't see the difference between turnover and profit (ie what the boss gets to keep).

Also, where did the job come from in the first place? Every job has to be visited and quoted for, probably half of those may come back as goers, they all have to be planned for, and it's the boss that does all that..usually during evenings and weekends. When I had employees, if they did a 40 hour week, I would do 60. Perhaps I was being greedy here, but I felt I deserved a bit of pay for those extra hours.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most companies I know of, the profit isn't that massive..a lot of employees can't see the difference between turnover and profit (ie what the boss gets to keep).

Also, where did the job come from in the first place? Every job has to be visited and quoted for, probably half of those may come back as goers, they all have to be planned for, and it's the boss that does all that..usually during evenings and weekends. When I had employees, if they did a 40 hour week, I would do 60. Perhaps I was being greedy here, but I felt I deserved a bit of pay for those extra hours.

The only way the industry can improve as a whole is if good people are paid decent wages, you don't reward excellent staff with mediocre wages. You give them an insentive to stay and work for you.

I agree there is a limit to how much you can pay, but surely there is scope for bonuses for oustanding work. I've been that exploited climber and it almost broke my will, I nearly jacked in treework for a better payed job.

Self employed is the only realistic way of making decent money in the UK. Only in America do climbers get payed excellent wages. Its the market here and stingy employers that force the wages down.

i agree with that....problem is when you climb and make your boss £2000 day and your target is 400 i oncedid that for 4 days made my boss2000 a day in the end i didnt evn get a drink in and that was when i thought f*ck you enough is enough....i can still see the profit going back in the buisness but what did i et out of it .?.then i became self employed ,best decision i ever made

Just thought I'd add a different take on partnerships. I went into partnership about 3 years ago. I was an experienced climber, he was a dairy farmer getting out of farming thinking about getting into tree work. He'd been doing the odd tree job and selling logs. I had the necessary tree skills he has a farm, space for truck, chipper, wood and a tractor..

We both brought different things to the business. Together we had enough kit and saws to get on with the job. We also both added about 6 grand, enough for a truck and chipper.

We can share quotes, paperwork, maintenance ect.. If one of us needs time we can trust the other to get on with it. Now as we are expanding with two trucks we always have one of us out working with the crew. The other can go out and do quotes in the day time and work can still get done.

So my advice would be find yourself a farmer, they work hard and don't expect much cash in return.

I would also add that untill recently I could have earnt more money working for someone else. We paid ourselves a low wage keeping cash in backup so when sh*t happens like your chipper blowing up it's not game over.

Self-employed all the time I've been in tree work (11years). Earnt my crust subbing to different companies, some I'm proud to have been associated with. Now the majority of my work is private, subbing a day here and there. I've never been happier, dealing with the client myself, following the job thru to the end, and getting paid for a job I love. I'll not pretend its not hard, yes longer hours, pricing, writing up paperwork, accounting, repairs but its all worthwhile at the end of the day.

Over the years I've learned not to get too serious about business. It doesnt suit me to plan projections, strategies and work schedules etc down to the nth degree. I've tried many times and it doesnt work for me.

Dont get me wrong. I do my own vat and accounting. I can make a considered decision about quotes or asset purchases.

What I mean is don't let it all overwhelm you. Keep things simple. Keep your diary as flexible as poss. Stress will come looking for you, don't go looking for stress.

Hi. I know its not a very British thing to do, but can we discuss money? What do you charge? We are a new business and have had to feel our way regarding pricing, but think we are too cheap, reading a former post. We aim at £250 per day local, £350 per day London, for a two man rig and chipper and all the gear to go with it. Although we are always working and have been going nearly a year now, we are making no money. The business eats cash -fuel, rent, insurance, repairs, replacements. Are we too cheap?

With regards to the original poster, good luck with your new venture!! Sounds like things are working out for you.

yes, you are WAY too cheap. those prices applied 10 years ago. you should be aiming for a minimum of £400 a day - and double it for those rich twerps in't village o london ;)

Think about it - your average plumber / joiner / Bricklayer will be taking home about £200 a day for turning up with a trowel....

i also agree way too cheap ... think of what wage you and your partner want per day ( sensible one now ) so say £100 for climber and £85 for groundie minimum. then think of your outgoings ~~(ins,rent,average fuel cost per day and any other outgoing (tip charge etc))~~and also a bit for a rainy day so i would say £350 minimum for bumpkins and £450 minimum for townies or price the job individually per tree etc instead of giving a day rate...