General Tree pics

Andy Collins

nice work Gareth-how come it was being removed?

Hi drew,

Unfortunatly Planning permission was given to the land owner to re-develope the area it was sat, so the tree was removed! Bit of a shame really, there isn't many around.

Should probably mention I'm just a climber for this company so I can't take any credit for organising the job :001_rolleyes:

Should probably mention I'm just a climber for this company so I can't take any credit for organising the job :001_rolleyes:

nonsense!:sneaky2:

Those few pictures are the best CV you could ask for as an employer who is also a climber, I would hire you tomorrow if I was looking for someone:thumbup1:

That goes for so many other guys and girls on here, I have monkeyed my way round thousands of trees, and only ever did 1 similar to your biggy, but I had the lucky option of felling the pole:biggrin:

I do respect your modesty though:001_smile:

nonsense!:sneaky2:

Those few pictures are the best CV you could ask for as an employer who is also a climber, I would hire you tomorrow if I was looking for someone:thumbup1:

That goes for so many other guys and girls on here, I have monkeyed my way round thousands of trees, and only ever did 1 similar to your biggy, but I had the lucky option of felling the pole:biggrin:

I do respect your modesty though:001_smile:

Cheers mate I guess you are right, never thought pics to go with a cv before :thumbup1:

I did feel lucky to get to do one to be honest, and things went my way on the job which was nice.. No added stress on the big stuff :biggrin:

Did you use long gaffs? The mistake I made, which wasn't a massive error, was wearing them from start to finish! The bark at the top half of the tree is similar to your normal conifer, so spurring round the top working your way down, I would recommend wearing the standard length ones at the top because it's like working on stilts with those longer ones, plus they get in the way and take a little more strength pulling them out if they wedge in too hard. . Which takes its toll after a while.

The other mistake I made was choice of saw and bar length, not a fan of sluggin anything bigger than a 385 up a tree as you can stick a relatively decent length bar and still get it cut nice, but after all the faffing around trying to reach the last bit of holding wood I could have just put a longer bar on and have it cutting slower or used the 880 which would have probably saved more energy in the long run!

Anyways, what's all this talk of saving energy and using more strength! I'm a Tree surgeon Rahhhh :001_tt2: haha

You have very right to be very proud of yourself and i agree with Mr Blair...i admire your modesty! You sound like a level headed climber. Pictures enhance your c.v. Video footage,anything that shows what you.re about adds to your armoury. Keep doing what you,re doing...Praise from Stephen is praise indeed!

Edited by silky fox
missed a bit

Hi Rich, all crane work! Got that large low limb out the way first so it didn't interfere with the boom bringing down the top sections, then the rest stayed on the pieces unless they got in the way of cutting or grew upwards above the crane strop. Reason being it was easier to proccess on the ground and not interfering with the cables when trying to lay it on its side (not likely to happen but seeing as I had the space to straight drop some I thought I may as well.)

The crane was directly under the tree so we were able to do some large pieces, the only issue with that was, once lifted, the cones dropped like hale stone hitting the crane drivers cab and falling into the cable spool (??) and was worried about it jamming up