General Tree pics

Andy Collins

Mark, did the chinstrap on your helmet come undone, hence your lid fell off right at the most inappropriate point of felling? :001_tongue:

Please excuse my ignorance of your environment.

Didn't realise from your first pic that you were abroad.

l

Great pictures, and I bet it was very interesting to exchange experiences with those guys.

Nice one.:thumbup1:

l

Great pictures, and I bet it was very interesting to exchange experiences with those guys.

Nice one.:thumbup1:

Hey I had my sunglass's on at least!:001_cool:

It was intresting, the village i stayed at was mostly based around forestry, Romania is still a very poor country, the village houses in that part of the country rely heavily on the forest, the house frames are made from wood, the walls are a mix of horse dung based plaster over wood or thin wood tiles as are the roofs.

A lot of the young are moving to the cities to get better jobs and more money, yet Catalin wants to follow his fathers footsteps and loves the sorroundings he lives in and working in the woods which are stunning.

The day I met him he was felling just 3 trees so he could start building his own house, other days he is felling for profit.

They found it different and intresting, like i said before they are mostly self taught or learn from others, which kind of means bad habits and poor technique are passed on.

Basic things like kneeling and keeping your back straight they found novel but instantly saw the benefit.

Being a tree man walking through the woods i couldn't help but examine every stump i came across and not once did i see a hinge, most cuts just look like step cuts.

They know a felling cut consists of a face/wedge cut out for direction then the back cut, only with little idea how to carry it out accuratly.

The common technique is to make a deep first cut parrell with the ground at least 50% of the way in then take out a wedge but it does not meet the first cut this is the only form of felling guidance, they then cut in from the back and basically keep cutting till she goes.

Its not very pretty, yet it works for them, and injuries are not as common as you'd think.

I'll post some more pics when i get back and can sort them out and resizes them as they are all to big.

l

So that makes it allright to have no PPE or training then.

The later quote to the effect that accidents are less common than expected is testament to the style of long term father to son training , mental and physical aptitude of the rural worker and awareness of the result of an accident ( disability = no pay = hungry family )

Why we persist in training methods with wannabe woodsmen who have a 1 week ticket before being let loose is beyond me.

Great pics though.

The later quote to the effect that accidents are less common than expected is testament to the style of long term father to son training , mental and physical aptitude of the rural worker and awareness of the result of an accident ( disability = no pay = hungry family )

Great pics though.

I think Log-ologist hit the nail on the head, even though it looked crude to me, the years of handed down experience, physical strengths maybe you could say the evolution of only the strong and smart can survive and live to work another day.

During my stay i meet several woodsmen of varying years on the job, none of them had any stories of really bad or fatal accidents, to me the way they worked looked crude none of the precision and seeming skill of the modern arborist in other countries. Although what at first looked basic to me I soon began to appreciate the simplicity of how they worked and that actually they have skills we have forgotten.

Although what at first looked basic to me I soon began to appreciate the simplicity of how they worked and that actually they have skills we have forgotten.

great comment, and probably the most accurate statement in the thread so far. Fantastic pictures, thanks for sharing.

biggest dead elm ive ever seen/done,

only got the first day pictures as my mate finished it:thumbdown:

all the brash was to be stripped out and the long wood was being kept for furniture building

sadly only 2 on the ground and a fence so the ground work was slow

11082008570.jpg

11082008576.jpg

11082008578.jpg