General Tree pics

Andy Collins

mondays job...

not a great pic but a real stinker.65 foot + Poplar

no mewp access, no vehicle access, 5 x phone lines, sandstone walls, new garage (just being finished!)

look carefuly, you can see a beautiful trail of rot and dirt issuing forth quite low down, cant climb above that point.

looks like abit of a tricky tree that any more pics?

An Oak we felled on Friday some climbing to minimise the ground damage and to allow the tree to be felled.

Poor photos from my phone show some of the decay caused by Inonotus Dryadeus. The white wood is just pure cellulose that the fungi is not able to degrade. Hard black barrier zones are visible.

The area around right hand hinge also shows some decay by Ganoderma applanatum.

I doubt the decay extends much further up the stem but I imagine you would see more decay if you cut the stump lower to the ground.

The tree had a heavy front lean to it so was felled using a hold and release cut (dainish pie) thats what the big lump of step cut on the top of the butt is.

Not knocking your theory, but what gives you the impression that white "stuff" is cellulose?

It appears to be mycelial matting with the decay having just gone super nova (rapid extension)

looks like abit of a tricky tree that any more pics?

no sadly not. gonna charge up my camera for monday.

its actualy worse than it looks.

im considering felling out a couple of sycamores around it, section off what we can and a try felling it thru and over the surrounding trees. (tiny poss gap)

dont really want to fell too many surrounding trees, as the area is being converted into a woodland education centre. there wont be much left at this rate.:001_tongue:

I dont think its mycelium the structure of the woody tissue was still there.

It would be! it has just started to colonise the main woody structures at the core. Honestly mate, take my word for it, that white stuff is Mycelium, check it out under a scope, or peel it off and squeeze it!

Bet it was a large fruit body too with that much accses to materials.

Edited by Tony Croft aka hamadryad

It would be! it has just started to colonise the main woody structures at the core. Honestly mate, take my word for it, that white stuff is Mycelium, check it out under a scope, or peel it off and squeeze it!

Bet it was a large fruit body too with that much accses to materials.

Fruiting body was very small for an inonotus only about 15cm. If im passing the tree I might grab some to look at again before I make up my mind.

Fruiting body was very small for an inonotus only about 15cm. If im passing the tree I might grab some to look at again before I make up my mind.

it wont look like that for long, the mycelium will retreat back a bit and that exposed to the elements will shrivel fast.

If you have an increment corer take a sample out across the area well below the surface of the stump youll gain a lot in looking at the core sample, it will be striped white as the mycelia are banded between the vessels and middle lamella.

Following a brief google trip. I now believe hamdryad to be correct. The white stuff probably is mycelium as Inonotus dryadeus can brake down cellulose and lignin at the same time.

LMAO:thumbup1:

I dont talk BS Phenom! lol

Ive been looking at fungi for a long, long time!

do post some pics if you do the cores, would be interesting.

You mentiond Gano too, same strategy as dryadeaus rot wise so while one was working the one side no doubt the other was eating away at the roots and lower butt on the other side, poor scenario!