New on the forum with a question about splitters

AngusMF250

Hello to everyone.

I ve just joined and would like to ask a question, which has probably been asked before, so sorry about this.

I cut a lot of Wytch Elm, which I split with a hand splitter.

Some of its not too bad and some of it is murder to split, so I m looking to get a splitter for the back of my tractor.

Has anyone used a screw splitter powered of a PTO?

If so, have you split any Elm with it and was it a good method?

Or would I be better to look at a hydraulic, or maybe PTO powered hydraulic splitter?

Does anyone reccommend any particular manufacturer?

Thanks for any input.

screw splitters are lethal, full stop. Would you touch a running pto on a tractor? :confused1: Elm is very stringy and chewy so this is especially dodgey in my eyes. I watched 1 work years ago and thought, ' no chance ' Hydraulic all the way, pto is even better. And what is EVEN better than that, is i can sell you one:thumbup:

I have bought Deans splitter but have since sold my lorry and i was going to run it from it so i dont really need it now, i thought it was too good a splitter to miss out on and i am pretty impulsive lol. I am going down to collect it on Friday and bring it up the road BUT if anyone wanted it i would sell it on.

http://arbtalk.co.uk/forum/large-equipment/16495-got-bored-today-so-made-logsplitting-video.html

Hello Stephen, I may well be interested in it. I m about 4 hours north east of Largs tho.

I agree about the safety, and dont like the look of the screw splitters, especially with the kids running about the place.

A friend who sells chainsaws (Angus Chainsaws) has a demonstration on the 26 November, I m going to it to see the splitters working, before I buy, and taking a few bits of Elm I couldnt split by hand.

The Elm I have was killed off about 7 / 8 years ago, its not stringy, but more like tough and bullet proof, especially nearer the bottom where it has a wee bit twist.

I know the English Elm is very bad for twists, but the Wytch Elm we have up here isnt too bad.

I have the scars to prove they are lethal and very much agree with stevies touching a PTO comment, in all they are pretty good splitters but if you need to cut small logs they can flip and jam under the screw,this is how i broke some fingers and had to go to A&E to remove a ring imbedded in my finger,it also buckled the log splitter and damaged the pto on the tractor!

I agree totally with the above and presuming your tractor is a MF 250 (great little yoke:thumbup1:) pto is the way to go, as you will be guaranteed good oil flow.

What have you got btw Stephen?

Michael, it is a Massey Ferguson 250.

A great wee tractor.

YIKES!! Matty that sounds nasty.

Angus, when i get it up the road you are welcome to come down and have a shot anytime.

Thanks Stephen, sounds fine.

Had a look at your website, nice website.

Matty your accident sounds bad, I wont entertain a screw splitter.

Have you seen the ones that fit onto car wheels, from America... sticklers they re called, wonder why they are not illegal!