Revison material for cs 30, 31 etc

Jobe

Alright folks,

Has anyone got any suggestions for some reading material to help prepare me for cs 30, 31 and 32?

I was looking at these...

[ame=http://www.amazon.co.uk/Chainsaw-Operators-Manual-Maintenance-Cross-cutting/dp/0643097414/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1288726610&sr=1-2]Chainsaw Operator's Manual: Chainsaw Safety, Maintenance and Cross-cutting Techniques Pt. 1: Amazon.co.uk: Forest Works: Books[/ame]

[ame=http://www.amazon.co.uk/Homeowners-Complete-Guide-Chainsaw-Brian/dp/1565233565/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1288726610&sr=1-1]Homeowner's Complete Guide to the Chainsaw: Amazon.co.uk: Brian J. Ruth, Jen W. Ruth: Books[/ame]

what do you think? Cheers.

The NPTC materials are only 'performance criteria' i.e. they are not intended to be training materials. Some colleges provide materials with their chainsaw courses that are compiled in line with the NPTC requirements, or you could do a 'LANTRA' course, which will be accompanied by some fairly comprehensive manuals. Either of these should give you all you need to know to pass the assessment.

I must admit that I haven't seen the books that you have linked to, but they may miss out on some vital information, terms or techniques - or they may include methods that are not acceptable / appropriate for an NPTC assessment - or they may be produced for US or AUS markets (heaven forbid that you should get terms such as hung-up tree mixed with widow-maker, or attempt to get your hung-up tree down by spearing lumps off the bottom :lol:)

'course, if you just want a little light reading, order away (and if the books are any good, you can post up a review :thumbup:)

The NPTC materials are only 'performance criteria' i.e. they are not intended to be training materials. Some colleges provide materials with their chainsaw courses that are compiled in line with the NPTC requirements, or you could do a 'LANTRA' course, which will be accompanied by some fairly comprehensive manuals. Either of these should give you all you need to know to pass the assessment.

I must admit that I haven't seen the books that you have linked to, but they may miss out on some vital information, terms or techniques - or they may include methods that are not acceptable / appropriate for an NPTC assessment - or they may be produced for US or AUS markets (heaven forbid that you should get terms such as hung-up tree mixed with widow-maker, or attempt to get your hung-up tree down by spearing lumps off the bottom :lol:)

'course, if you just want a little light reading, order away (and if the books are any good, you can post up a review :thumbup:)

This is always the advantage of doing a lantra regestered cource with a lantra regestered instructor.

a lot of their training materials are excellent, we use a combination of the lantra materilas and sup;lment with some Husqvarna and orogon materials also.

otherwise getting the corroct information is very hit and miss. I find it interesting when you get posts like this just a couple up fromn the one entitled how much did you pay for your CS...... Prehaps the thread title should be @ was you cource value for money?'

Anyway good luck with your assessment i hope all goes well, just relax and look upon the assessment as a valuble part of the training.

• 2 weeks later...

For CS30, check out my chainsaw maintenance & crosscutting website at Drive Link - I'm currently doing a series covering some of the basic mistakes that learners make.

I have to say that we don't just copy the LANTRA handbook - I wrote the CS30 & CS31 (and CS38, MEWP and Chippers) course notes for our students!

Best wishes,

David.