SRT Setup

DrewB

I had a single ascender fail on me at only three foot off the floor, Mr Mcsheffrey was there at the time and told me to bin the offending ascender. Turned out the little silver clip you move out the way to open it was ever so slightly bent.

Always back up the system and don't rely on the ascender as a primary.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I had a single ascender fail on me at only three foot off the floor, Mr Mcsheffrey was there at the time and told me to bin the offending ascender. Turned out the little silver clip you move out the way to open it was ever so slightly bent.

Always back up the system and don't rely on the ascender as a primary.

Not much to go on here:

1. Are you saying that you were secured on a single line, with only one ascender?

2. And that ascender 'failed' and you hit the ground?

3. Was the ascender clipped to the rope through the top holes?

4. Did the spring fail?

5. What rope were you using?

6. What ascender were you using?

7. Were you using two in-line ascenders on a single rope, and both failed at the same time, causing you to fall?

8. Or were you using a 'twin' ascender on a doubled line?

Ascenders are tested and rated as 'primary protection' pieces of PPE for single line ascent, to EN industrial standards. Of course we should rely on them, but only when there are two, to act as redundancy to a possible failure.

Friction hitches are of a very variable nature, are not inherently safer than ascenders, or any more dependable as a method of secure attachment.

I was on a single line with one ascender backed up with a friction knot, I also had a pantin.

The rope didn't come out of the slot, I pushed up on the ascender, the cam opened to allow rop through and didn't close again. I just sat back onto the backup friction hitch.

I know what you are saying that the second ascender or chest ascender can be the backup, I would personally not trust them and not everyone uses the True Kermantle as in the tests.

I have always been taught and told by everyone I have come across to back up mechanical with non mechanical. There is nothing wrong with using your system with a friction hitch as well. Triple backup :001_tongue:

I've never done caving, in my opinion you've got to have a few brain cells short to try and bury yourself alive.

But I would think that they use a mechanical as a backup because of all the mud, grit and water, which would obviously bugger any friction device /knot ??

It might be a more acceptable risk to use mechanical as primary in that situation??

a standard caving srt set is just a croll, sling over the chest and a hand ascender with a foot loop and a set of cows tails. Where possible the kit is carried in a rope bag to protect it in the harsh enviroment. This kit can take some hammer but must be looked after after the decent and checked prior to entering the abys.

there is a difference between the 2

work equipment many regulations

recreational no legislation

this set up as many would not be acceptible in the irata (rope access)

i am a level 1 irata and would not want to climb trees by the same rules as they do