SRT Setup

DrewB

just started playing with SRT ascent and unsure which of these two setups is better/correct or plain safe/unsafe. seems to work really well for ascent but im not sure if ill give up footlocking yet! I know i should probably have a shock absorber of some sort in the system but i havent got one so aint using one. tips for SRT would be much appreciated. cheers.

59765357d14cb_SRTsetup2.jpg.35252f891448e27e731f9a02c53712d9.jpg

59765357cce55_SRTsetup1.jpg.530305ab5d1694d845140b4f54bf52c7.jpg

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Which ever method you choose you should put a crab through the top hole of the device to stop the cam opening and failing!:scared1: You could use a snap link but a tripple lock would obviously be safer.

i do not see how putting a crab through top hole will stop it opening as it opens downhill i have used a similar system but used a shunt instead of the croll which is not quite as efficient but imo lots safer i believe the backing up of assenders with a blakes hitch to back it up is becoming good practice

i do not see how putting a crab through top hole will stop it opening as it opens downhill i have used a similar system but used a shunt instead of the croll which is not quite as efficient but imo lots safer i believe the backing up of assenders with a blakes hitch to back it up is becoming good practice

It wont indeed but the system needs backing up imo...esp as blaze ( 11.1mm ) is a skinny rope and some of the ascenders and/or other clamp devices are manu'd to fairly "easy" tolerances shall we say!!

There is no provision on those shown in the illustration for a small karabiner so a rope system would be the go......:w00t:

You would have to be pretty unlucky to have both clamps fail simultaeneously anyway but there>>>>

not disagreeing but do cavers have backup when they use this system? i didnt think they did as its primarily a means of ascent only, but it would be good to get views on this.i thought the ascension backed up the croll?not sure though. To be honest if i had to tie in a backup hitch as well im not sure id bother with the system due to the amount of stuff needed to make it appropriately safe. id just footlock instead. does anyone else have pics of the SRT system they use? be good to see. and cheers for the comments:001_smile:

not disagreeing but do cavers have backup when they use this system? i didnt think they did as its primarily a means of ascent only, but it would be good to get views on this.i thought the ascension backed up the croll?not sure though. To be honest if i had to tie in a backup hitch as well im not sure id bother with the system due to the amount of stuff needed to make it appropriately safe. id just footlock instead. does anyone else have pics of the SRT system they use? be good to see. and cheers for the comments:001_smile:

You are correct Drew - the ascenders are both primary means of security AND act as redundancy to the other. Both pics are acceptable to me, but you must always clip the top holes to prevent cam slippage and rope exit. I also clip the rope below the Croll to my right sliding leg ring - this prevents the rope exiting if pulled at 90 degrees stepping over branches.

I would recommend a rope of true kernmantle to EN1891 Type A (Blaze is neither) of 11mm. This is what the ascenders were tested with, and the rope has passed stringent tests to ensure knotted strength and sufficient energy absorption. Very important when relying on one line (just as in DdRT).

You need some kind of strap to ensure the Croll tails properly.

This is my set-up, which is essentially the same as yours:

http://arbtalk.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=2307