double redi

DrewB

some pics of a double pulley retrievable redi. got the idea from treebuzz and just played with and adapted it. ive used 2petzl pulleys together in photo as didnt have a double at the time. thats the only gear it uses (plus a krab). the first fishermans chokes the half loop so even though its not locked it wont come undone. you just pull the tail of your rope to retrieve the system. the fishermans also pulls undone if caught in a tight crotch. i await the onslaught:001_smile:

inuse.jpg.fab7275e6da106dca5a131baff9e94a8.jpg

stage4.jpg.d4588ec183a6cf504047c357ea8668dd.jpg

stage3.jpg.2a36825102d78e65762e88d0170b384b.jpg

stage2.jpg.b699cf21f2a8de0561caa203effe737e.jpg

59765357bfefe_stage1closeup.jpg.afafed36fbd74bee1d7cb8597eaf57d8.jpg

I can just envisage the groundy pulling a branch with the tail end of the system caught up in it and the whole thing coming undone.:001_tongue:

Seriously though, you would have to put the tail end somewhere well out of the way of where you are working in the crown would scare you a bit if you caught it and undid it. Cracking idea though and so simple.

I can just envisage the groundy pulling a branch with the tail end of the system caught up in it and the whole thing coming undone.:001_tongue:

Seriously though, you would have to put the tail end somewhere well out of the way of where you are working in the crown would scare you a bit if you caught it and undid it. Cracking idea though and so simple.

there is no tail to it as youre using the end of climbing line as the redi. the only real danger is dropping a log onto the loop between you and the redi-but i reckon climbers using this sort of setup will/should be aware of that peoblem and work accordingly. or are you seeing a different problem than me?:001_tongue:

I was thinking you would be carrying a short length of rope with you and leaving the tail dangling down to pull on.

But for a temp redirect to get out to the end of a limb and limit swing etc you would as you say, just watch out you didn't catch the loop.

I've often found that I would make do and put a sling and pulley in on a branch just above me that I can reach for a redi when it would be better to get one in the branch above that. Your system would be ideal for that by just throwing a line over if you can't reach.

Another one for the armoury of knowledge, nice one Drew

• 2 weeks later...

That kind of quick release system has been used in a comp before but I'm not sure it would be allowed now.

Previously it was used as a way of setting up an in line anchor on an accesss line that was retrievable and that is not allowed now as it is primary life support.

As a re de, it may be allowed.

As for logs falling in the loop if used in work situation, you would/should be lanyarded in whilst using the saw, so the worst case scenario is your main line going a bit slack.

what did you think of it steve in operation? and will it be allowed in a comp?

not had chance to try it out yet mate sorry. i did have another idea flash before me the other day which was sort of born on your pictures, cant for the life of me remember what i was thinking though.