trewhella winch

elicokiz

8 minutes ago, Haironyourchest said:

Why not buy the one in Scotland and then copy the parts for the other winch. Then you will have 2, and can use them as a pair to double your pulling power, or keep one as a back up, or just sell one.

Because Brian is in Tasmania so shipping would be a problem.

I note a guy on this forum

http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showpost.php?p=108388&postcount=1

8 years ago claimed to have some military manuals

7 hours ago, Haironyourchest said:

Why not buy the one in Scotland and then copy the parts for the other winch. Then you will have 2, and can use them as a pair to double your pulling power, or keep one as a back up, or just sell one.

Brilliant idea!.............However I live at "The end of the World" (literally) Tasmania!  Shipping would be astronomical, be cheaper to hire a 20 ton dozer and sell the winch for scrap!  

Perhaps this makes sense.  The top photo from David shows the "spring assembly", just above the pawl that rotates the winch drum is the "THUMB TAB" living at the far right end of the spring assembly.  The thumb tab being used to lock and unlock the winch drum so it can unspool the cable.  The 2nd photo, to the left of the yellow painted rectangle and directly above the winch cable is the "bolt" that is also missing from my winch.  I have no idea if it's a bolt or a spring loaded shaft, but it sits in two cast circular guides and retained by a split pin....apparently!  Hope that helps.  

On 21/11/2018 at 05:40, peatff said:

There's a seller in India doing a successor to the Monkey Winch.

There is also a chap on Ali Barba in China selling them US $200-$300, still waiting for a response if they sell parts, all Greek to me...well Chinese anyways!  Photos of my winch and the missing thumb tab and what ever lives in the bracket on the opposite side.

$_20 (3).JPG

$_20.JPG

On 23/11/2018 at 01:39, openspaceman said:

Could you mark any parts on copies of pictures David posted? and which measurement .

I'm surprised no one took up the rights from the liquidators, not only did they do the winches but also the cable shorteners, which I have seen used on zip lines.

I have since found there are "two" different "thumb tabs" being changed in 1935!  Mine is patent applied 1930, so not as old as the one in Scotland which has a heavier frame and different wheels with round holes.  Appears the parts I need are Numbered 2 and 23, shame they could not provide a diagram as opposed to small vague drawings, sign of the times?  It is odd that the liquidators have not released the inventory  from Trewhella, perhaps it's been sold and melted down?  Hope the attached helps others with theirs as well as mine.

thumb piece.jpg

10.jpg