Miss nearmiss or a snitch ?????

Treegeek

Im not very good at communicating my thoughts but i will try without rambling to much.

The issue i would like to openly disscus with the group is reporting of "near miss events" (for want of a better phrase) my observasion is that the company is obsesed with near miss reports and my intrest is the culture with in the teams of snitching on each other and how other companies encourge the reporting of NM's could this be twisted to be a postive force.

I completly understand the bigger picture and the models of a number nearmiss a number of accidents leading to a fatality.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The company I work for (non-arb) actually hands out prizes for the staff reporting the most "quality near miss reports". Our site which deals with toxic waste re-processing, apparently puts in more NMR's than any other company in the group, and this is actively encouraged by the management. They operate a "no blame policy" and I guess that they reckon the more things that get reported, the more they can do something about, and the better the safety record becomes.

Andy

Used to wind me up no end when I was on the chemical works. Why spend time taking a photo of an uncoiled hose pipe and filling in a form about it when in half the time you could have just tidied the thing up. It was always those that were idle sods that filled in the most forms each month yet did the least actual work.

:thumbup1:I am glad that the subject seems to be taken in the correct manner.

I have also pondered the fact that company i work for is not an arb based company and the department is very much a minority, can this scheme be apllied to two different industrys with in one operation ????

Reporting a nearmiss to prevent accidents is what adults do, calling others snitches or grasses is the job for children trying to win a popularity contest with bullies and idiots.

If someone just fixes the mistakes of others with out reporting or telling off and educating and disciplining the culprits then it will keep hapening, so to change the pattern of good folk leaving good companies because the idiots are allowed to continue their poor practices then something needs to get changed.

Biting your tongue leads to frustration, accidents and bad blood between employees which then leads to less pennies in the pockets of the bosses, so then the company doesn't do so well and jobs get lost.

LoL. just been sitting in work listening to new release near miss reports. LMAO. Its a subject i ignor in work for the fact it was near miss. not a hit. who cares if a bee stung you or u didnt see that stump and (almost) hit the vehical. Some companys enforce near miss reports as if you dont have a near miss your doing somthing wrong. Wheres the lodgic in that.