the body language of Decay, The Delights of D

1. poplar especially IME ...

2. So what do you make of the perenniporia

Tony,

1. ... and IME both Platanus, loosing its complete root plate and Robinia, on top of that, loosing its major roots, with both tree species being unable to effectively regenerate roots needed for stability, and (even pollarded) Salix (loosing buttresses, vertical delamination and splitting in half) too.

2. IME Fraxinus and Perenniporia can often grow old together, to the stability of Platanus and Robinia however, P. fraxinea can be detrimental on a much shorter term.

Do you think perhaps this is partly due to the Uk having a resource rich biomass of old Oak, compared to the northern edge of the continent ?

Yes, possibly, the total number of Dutch veteran pedunculate oaks being few and far between. On the other hand, within the borders of the town I live, we have 65.000 40-100 years old Quercus robur and another 20.000 40-80 years old Q. rubra on roadsides, which are damaged by traffic a lot, so I see my share of infections with Laetiporus sulphureus, Daedalea quercina, Phellinus robustus, Fistulina hepatica and Armillaria ostoyae, with the first three being the major parasites of Q. rubra.

And last year and this season, 30-60 % of all Q. robur being defoliated by Operophtera brumata and OPM, last year followed by oak leaf mildew on the second generation of leaves, you can imagine what my living environment looks like today :sneaky2: .

, you can imagine what my living environment looks like today :sneaky2: .

tbh, I don't really know the Netherlands that well, having only been to Amsterdam a couple of times & the only scenery I saw was from the train from Schiphol.

On the other hand I know Germany & Belgium fairly well having lived in one & visited the other whilst my father was working there on a good number of occasions.

But it sounds in general that the treescape of many parts of the continent is on the wain.

Lets hope it's just a down trend in the grand cycle of nature & that there will be a resurgence of current if not successional (more resilient) species to come. :001_smile:

1. I don't really know the Netherlands that well

2. Germany ... having lived in ... But it sounds in general that the treescape of many parts of the continent is on the wain.

David,

1. Just as I don't know the U.K. that well, because I visited London and on another occasion Cambridge once and while visiting friends, who then lived in Broadmayne and now live in Southampton, explored the southern country side including Lime Regis, Stonehenge and the National Forest. So I'm really looking forward to visiting the U.K. and see some of your and Tony's favourite locations.

2. If you can still read a bit of German, here's a dramatic report on the decline of pedunculate oaks in Nordrhein-Westfalen Eiche und Eichensterben, just across the border of the Dutch region where I live.

P.S. : note that in this report (again) there is no research on the ectomycorrhizal macrofungi, nor on the tree species specific ecosystem done nor documented.

Edited by Fungus

David,

2. If you can still read a bit of German, here's a dramatic report on the decline of pedunculate oaks in Nordrhein-Westfalen Eiche und Eichensterben, just across the border of the Dutch region where I live.

P.S. : note that in this report (again) there is no research on the ectomycorrhizal macrofungi, nor on the tree species specific ecosystem done nor documented.

Not really enough to take it all in, but will google translate later.

Thanks

... within the borders of the town I live, we have 65.000 40-100 years old Quercus robur and another 20.000 40-80 years old Q. rubra on roadsides, which are damaged by traffic a lot, so I see my share of infections with Laetiporus sulphureus, Daedalea quercina, Phellinus robustus, Fistulina hepatica and Armillaria ostoyae, with the first three being the major parasites of Q. rubra.

A today's find of Laetiporus sulpureus on Q. rubra, which probably has been completely decomposed at and up to 40 centimetres above ground level, reading the body language of the tree and the partially sterile panic fruiting of the fungus.

---

Am.-eik-Zwavelzwam.jpg.52b820c6a94b232e602e66fb5ae14602.jpg

A today's find of Laetiporus sulpureus on Q. rubra, which probably has been completely decomposed at and up to 40 centimetres above ground level, reading the body language of the tree and the partially sterile panic fruiting of the fungus.

---

& there was me thinking that you would be semi-retired and resting on the laurels of thousands of historic photo files :lol:

Good to see you still at it :thumbup1:

This just a random find or part of a study?