the body language of Decay, The Delights of D

David,

Looking at the photo and the size of the bracket and its presence at this hight makes me wonder, whether you have considered this to be (the first U.K. finding ? of) Inonotus dryophilus, a species of which is documented, that it never fruits at the trunk base, but always at greater hight on Quercus robur or Q. petrea.

--

Last years was the first time this fungi had fruited on this tree in the last 8 years.

The local & FRDBI records have it as I.dryadeus

Obviously there is a difference in spore colour.

I will try & ascertain.

Either way, this is appears to be quite unique :thumbup1:

D :001_smile:

I did actualy climb the tree in question and can confirm it was most certainly dryadeus, unless the dryophilus is almost identical macroscopicaly?

Tony,

No, it's not, it looks more like I. rheades, which only grows on trunks of Populus.

I have waited such a long long time to confirm my beliefs/theories here.

The ultra fat wide low profiled roots and spreading base of fraxinus excelsior and its causal fungi, part of fraxinus excelsiors "species specific ecosystem" and this ash has been living with pholiota squarrosa for decades. "the brown things" are the dessicated fruit bodies and very dense clusters they was too, I bet they was a site to see when fresh.:001_cool:

I had almost forgotten how much fun this detective work is, its been a while since I found such an important link.:001_cool:

check out the helical crack too, bit of i. hispidus at play me suspects (with torsional wind loads)

59765b2f1a8ff_todayschapneys108.jpg.f6b1d1b13feb09642a6673c50cfe2396.jpg

59765b2f1e488_todayschapneys128.jpg.563c8fe4810f8a6cfc2c81977b637fe3.jpg

59765b2f212e8_todayschapneys110.jpg.ce76d1044c42c35d123cd10c4b9b6895.jpg

59765b2f24ad3_todayschapneys111.jpg.1cf761d50600e56d7d5cfda09b99b113.jpg

59765b2f27aa9_todayschapneys112.jpg.53d0a3bd0d26e9c851626db0de3f75b3.jpg

The ultra fat wide low profiled roots and spreading base of fraxinus excelsior and its causal fungi, part of fraxinus excelsiors "species specific ecosystem" and this ash has been living with pholiota squarrosa for decades. "the brown things" are the dessicated fruit bodies and very dense clusters they was too

And then again their is a striking difference between tree species like Fraxinus and Fagus being under attack of the biotrophic parasitic Pholiota squarrosa, which can survive and compensate for the attack for many years, and trees such as Robinia, Platanus, Populus and Salix, which can become dangerous because of the decay of buttresses and/or root plates within a much shorter period compared to the first two mentioned, as is shown in my Album : Pholiota squarrosa.

And then again their is a striking difference between tree species like Fraxinus and Fagus being under attack of the biotrophic parasitic Pholiota squarrosa, which can survive and compensate for the attack for many years, and trees such as Robinia, Platanus, Populus and Salix, which can become dangerous because of the decay of buttresses and/or root plates within a much shorter period compared to the first two mentioned, as is shown in my Album : Pholiota squarrosa.

Yes I should have mentioned it is more serious on other trees.

poplar especially IME.:thumbup1:

So what do you make of the perenniporia Gerrit?