the body language of Decay, The Delights of D

thing with this tree is that its vital, the die back is minimal indicating only early decay to the fine roots. The tree is losing vigour, which means its not extending rapidly and increasing its load as the roots are colonised. In time the buttresses will be truly pronounced, but at the moment (in my opinion based soley on photos and not to be taken as accurate) the decay is not a massive risk, I would put this down in a moderate catagory and mark it down for annual monitor observation for fruit bodies ( september for pholiotta squarrosus) and to have it down to be 20% reduced within 3 years, with that spec to be altered as and when the situation changes.be wary of drum effects on these buttresses they can all have a drum like sound quality to them, if in doubt put a resistograph drill (£600 from sorbus international) do the drilling in the bottom half in the centre of the triangle of the buttress in a downward (approximately 45 degree angle) and remember the centre area of the butress is redundant structuraly, the decay there will give an indication of more value but not enough evidence to warrant more than further investigations.

That is almost word for word what our LA Tree officer said lol. Not going to fell it for no reason. The deadwood alders we have "debranched" so they are a pole as its looks more inviting for the woodpeckers on the site.

• 2 weeks later...

So here we have a beech heavily colonised by Ganoderma pfiefferi, firstly i will include an extract from "diagnosis and prognosis of the development of wood decay in urban trees" Francis W.M.R Schwarze (an essential reference volume you must buy)

"The only information about the ability of G. pfiefferi to colonise functional wood comes from field observations, which have sometimes revealed extensive decay in Fagus sylvatica (D. Lonsdale unpublished data) and the death of extensive areas of bark or even entire trees (Burdekin 1979).

The images here would certainly indicate its potential along these lines, however there are clearly very active columns of live healthy wood developing over the wood present at the time of a major wounding within the root crown. I feel this tree will adapt and eventually re-iterate roots and develop a more discontinuous (columns) trunk form. As a pollard it is safe and viable, and provides a unique opportunity for further evaluation and study.

(by pollard I mean not in the traditional stripped sense, foliage is always retained)

The first image shows fruit bodies (Sporacarps) erupting through bark, possibly indicating some capacity to degrade healthy tissue.

the second image shows the distinct columnar flow of active roots over the now long decayed and dysfunctional core present at the time of wounding.

In the third image we can clearly see the bark sink ( looks like shear bomb crack vertical on stem) which was the woody tissues connected to the root that was damaged/cut. We also see to the right the overly developed tension root replacement. In the short term this side of the tree had few anchor roots, but the tree is re iterating a new root crown and having been heavily reduced is safe till these new roots form and thicken enough to hold this side of the tree in a shear root ball again.:001_cool:

59765a12be34d_pfirfferibeech8311052.jpg.c5f3621ef5a717002c9d9ef75dd23ca6.jpg

59765a12c359e_pfirfferibeech8311048.jpg.fd3f9f3254dcea1e83786bb281c10618.jpg

59765a12c8b4f_pfirfferibeech8311050.jpg.0f0af6024b72696f492471e423496111.jpg

For the first time in a very long time I have had the time to sit and read, uninterrupted, needless to say I read all 213 posts to this thread in complete silence only 'wowwing' to myself as I read the information that Hama and friends have imparted on the not-so-knowledgeable. I am in awe, I really am. Put my name down for your book Hama (signed copy please) :thumbup1:.

It has made me realise that I should look at trees differently for sure. I wandered around a lovely Beech forest at the weekend (Micheldever Woods) and noticed the trees had taken some odd forms. Noting these in my head and having a very inquisitive brain I instinctively tried to find the cause of the deformaties only to get a little tied up in knots. Your thread has answered some of my headaches and I continue to find answers to date. I have a little saying here at work 'every day is a school day' and today is no exception. A huge thank you and don't you dare finish this thread despite your insistance that your research and finesse is lacking! Thank you for sharing the knowledge and experiences with us all. Keep up the excellent work :biggrin:

For the first time in a very long time I have had the time to sit and read, uninterrupted, needless to say I read all 213 posts to this thread in complete silence only 'wowwing' to myself as I read the information that Hama and friends have imparted on the not-so-knowledgeable. I am in awe, I really am. Put my name down for your book Hama (signed copy please) :thumbup1:.

It has made me realise that I should look at trees differently for sure. I wandered around a lovely Beech forest at the weekend (Micheldever Woods) and noticed the trees had taken some odd forms. Noting these in my head and having a very inquisitive brain I instinctively tried to find the cause of the deformaties only to get a little tied up in knots. Your thread has answered some of my headaches and I continue to find answers to date. I have a little saying here at work 'every day is a school day' and today is no exception. A huge thank you and don't you dare finish this thread despite your insistance that your research and finesse is lacking! Thank you for sharing the knowledge and experiences with us all. Keep up the excellent work :biggrin:

:blushing:Thats apretty darn big compliment, and im glad you got so much from it, that is after all what its all about, opening eyes and minds to the amazing life of trees.

dont worry, the thread will continue, i just get frustrated that I cant be "scientific about it" AS WELL as being able to communicate it in a simple way, it also needs backing up in order for this all to be accepted.

Thanks man, made my day.:001_cool:

Treesource Tree Health, Disorders & Hazard Assessment

buy it cheap!

prognosis and diagnosis

Ok I can splash out £110 if it is as good as what I am reading in this thread? I have a growing library of arb books and her indoors may just put her foot down if I can't be reassured. Go on sell me it in your best sales pitch and I'll cough up! Is your book anywhere near started? :001_huh:

I like pictures too and lots of them - they paint a thousand words!