Advanced chainsaw maintenance

APC

Why are you "required" to keep a service record? Is it Puwer regs or soemthing? I keep a record in my head of what has happened to what and what spare parts I have, it leaves little space for much else in there but it works for me!!

Sorry Rupe, I should explain more clearly, I am required to do so being an employer of a student :biggrin:

I've always just got on with servicing as and when. I don't use a saw every day like most of you guys, more like just using it 2-3 days a week in autumn/winter. I try to gut it and clean it inside and out and check over whole saw if I get a spare hour, whether it needs it or not. We used to keep records of when and what we had done. We stopped though partially due to laziness on the form filling in side. I know I do mine more than we have agreed to do it.

We are also supposed to get the saws checked over once a year by a dealer. I don't really see the point in this apart from to get the carb settings fiddled with. I'm mainly after learning that particular skill. That Stihl course sounds interesting. I will try and enquire!

A company i work for have recently brought this policy in,the main reason being to check anti vibration mounts etc are in working order.I suppose to cover themselves in the event of employees making claims against them for HAVS.Be carefull where you take it though,one guy took it somewhere they had quoted around £20 plus parts,when he picked it up they had put £130 worth of parts on,this was a nearly new saw that had very little use:thumbdown:

Sorry Rupe, I should explain more clearly, I am required to do so being an employer of a student :biggrin:

Ah, yes, I remember know.

You know the old saying

"If it ain't broke"

"It soon will be!! "