First Yard machine

DN22 Gardening

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You could try a pallet truck but any debris on the floor will jam wheels. You will need to put bags on pallets. We tryed all terrain pallet truck but you loose too much space due to wheels either side. I would look for something like a buggyscopic make sure it can stack you bags not all have enough height.

That would be ideal but there is a big difference between 2k and 10k Steve. I`m thinking maybe it would be better to spend 2k on the pallet truck and another 2-3k concreting a bigger area for it to run on.

I am not sure what you mean by a pallet truck. We have a thing called a pump truck which could be the same. If you are on firm ground a forklift could be the answer lots around for cheap money now the country is bancrupt.

Sorry Steve... to much to drink last night and brain only just getting into gear .. I meant a forklift :001_smile:

I use a forklift but we had to put concrete bog mats down as it is not all terrain and it stops at the slightest sign of mud. Ours is multi mast but with 6ft of free float prior to the masts extending so we can work within polytunnels. Only downside is annual loler testing of all chains and masts. With good operator we can stack upto 5 IBC containers high although in practice we only stack 4 high empty and 2 high full.

I was about to start a similar thread Dave. My barn is just about finished and it has limited floor space with loads of height so I need something to lift the sacks/crates ... anyone use a pallet truck? which seems the cheapest option.

A friend was in similar situation, too little floorspace, but plenty of height in his old barn. He installed a overheadcrane/traverse and fills the barn all the way up now with bales of hay! Nice thing is that when loading he only need space for ONE haybale in front of the door... and as more space is available he reverses into the barn and load/unload directly on his pickup. He can even get stuff from the back witout moving bales around, he just hoist his ATV over the bales.(Did I mention how easy it was to change engine in his old car?) He also got an old frontloader with forks, bucket, snowplough... great set up and serves him well. The crane is electric and works everytime...:sneaky2: and no maintenance..:001_tt2:

If you decide to go the crane route there is an auction on line or Linde in Basingstoke finishes lunchtime they have dozens of overhead cranes really cheap at the moment. Try a search for dove bid, you will need to register. I doubt they will sell today so may still be some more left. Let me know if interested.

If you decide to go the crane route there is an auction on line or Linde in Basingstoke finishes lunchtime they have dozens of overhead cranes really cheap at the moment. Try a search for dove bid, you will need to register. I doubt they will sell today so may still be some more left. Let me know if interested.

Strangely enough I sold a 15 metre one last year that was in that old cinema that I was selling ... I really struggled to get rid of it, took £400 in the end.

Had a look and could well be an idea except I would imagine that they are 3 phase which I dont have but I will certainly keep an eye on their auctions in the future.