AA Trade Fair, evening entertainment

nod

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well that sounds interesting and relevant Tony, care to elaborate?

Has it made you re-think your own aerial rescue strategy?

Well, SRT is one of those things I'd always intended to do, (I even bought all the gear), but never got round to. So I'd never really thought it all through from start to finish.

Essentially, watching pros who do use SRT often undertake what looked like an extremely difficult and technical rescue sure makes one think!

It also looked gear intensive. Numerous prussic anchors to pick the casualty off their ascenders.

Rescuer ascends under casualty on same line, and has to get above before anchoring into the line to descend.

The point the guys were making was how difficult it was and that even if you were capable, would your rescuer be???

I listened to the same talk about rescue from an SRT line , I couldn't help but simplify the concepts i.e. why struggle to get someone off their own line when you could have a dedicated rescue line as well as the SRT line. I mean if that man has to come down just cut his god-damn line above the ascender. It seemed like they had got hold of a thought and run with it, I mean really run with it, those are some clever blokes that can search out all of the angles, but like I said I couldn't help but simplify their in-depth thoughts.

Did you notice the guy climbing on the right hand side had two access lines that he was travelling up, one for frog walker and one with the petzl inertia brake...Ekka pulled a joke thread at tree buzz a few months ago about backing up an access line with another access line and then I saw it for real. funny!

I listened to the same talk about rescue from an SRT line , I couldn't help but simplify the concepts i.e. why struggle to get someone off their own line when you could have a dedicated rescue line as well as the SRT line. I mean if that man has to come down just cut his god-damn line above the ascender. It seemed like they had got hold of a thought and run with it, I mean really run with it, those are some clever blokes that can search out all of the angles, but like I said I couldn't help but simplify their in-depth thoughts.

Did you notice the guy climbing on the right hand side had two access lines that he was travelling up, one for frog walker and one with the petzl inertia brake...Ekka pulled a joke thread at tree buzz a few months ago about backing up an access line with another access line and then I saw it for real. funny!

I wouldn't describe installing three systems in a tree (srt access / srt or drt rescue / Ddrt work positioning) as simple... :D

I think the point was to ask if people who used SRT had considered the rescue angle??

It was an interesting angle for sure, I'm happy with a trunk belay while in zone one and two. It's no bother for me to set an extra rescue line as I'm roping into my work TIP...just a couple more minutes pulling up a rope.

My main concern is that the anchor is low...like they sai,d trunk belays pass the anchor down to your mates...or not mates if you sub around. Food for thought...