Phototalk - ask a question or explain stuff about photography

Albedo

"metering in a nutshell"

I tend to use centre wieghted for most shots, spot when its critical and hardly ever average because your asking the meter to do the impossible which is deliver best exposure for all contrasts within the image.

http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/camera-metering.htm

Edited by Tony Croft aka hamadryad

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hiya

This is a question about a camera and not how to use one, hope that's ok? I've been looking at all the recent picture threads and they are amazing, the fungi pics are fantastic! It's made me want to go hunting myself so I need to get a camera. I'd like one I can use for eveything and not have to be to careful with it. On the net there are a few rugged ones and the one that's stood out to me is the Casio EX-G1, what do you chaps think about it? Cheers

Your question is a photo one so it's ok. I googled the camera your'e looking at earlier and it seems to have no manual control so for fungi photos you'll be limited to fairly fixed DOF etc.

If you can sacrifice the tough ? waterproof element, I'd highly recomend you look at the canon S95 which has all the features of the high ends under discussion here but is the most compact of them all. It also has the price to go with it though mate.

Depends what you want from your photography and how much effort you're wanting to put in etc. Happy hunting:001_smile:

Albedo, have you seen the hardcase avaliable for the LX5 and the wide 18mm angle lens!

oh and theres a thread on the lens for filters too!

Sorry H thought you knew about that stuff. I think you have to attach an extension tube, then the filters for obvious reasons. (zoom lense would go thru filter when you turn camera on , for non LX5 owners)

The 18mm thing, I don't quite understand if it gives more macro or if its for landscapes. If it is the former then it is indeed a very exciting thing and I want one. I googled it a while ago and it gave the impression it was for wider landscapes so I lost interest a bit.:confused1:

Thats correct albedo, if anything a macro lens would be longer rather than shorter.

One thing that I still find remarkable is this cameras depth! its awsome, front to back, almost a disadvantage at times as real shallow field is hard to obtain!

Sounds like a challenge to me, I reckon just stick it on auto macro and DOF is pretty shallow. More seriously, I believe the rather poncy correct term for the blurryness of the background is 'Bokeh' - lots being blurry and little being less blury.

I've been so busy trying to max out DOF that I have not tried to get lots of 'booookeh'

Therein lies the next challenge, along with something knife edge sharp:001_smile:

Now you mention it H here's a little critter that I found hard to photograph well...... so I didn't:biggrin:

This at ISO 100 F3.5 on tripod.

Edit: this is from today by the way so all the more funny that you mention it

5976585f0ccdf_fung016.jpg.6d27cbc0c94615794ed63e6b108c12ec.jpg

Edited by Albedo

Just to put a bit of relevant info in here as I was chatting with Hama accross a couple of different threads.

The opposite of the above photo which is what I was working on based on Log Haulers advice was this photo from today using low ISO and high Fstop (ISO 100, F8), trying to get the Kind of DOF and sharpness that he got. I used the flexitripod in haste and not the stiff leg one so could be a bit sharper but it'll do:001_smile:

5976585f199e3_fung042ed.jpg.6b997cc0051b068a4b74e02b39dbaa2e.jpg

SJH, please could you give me some info on what and how and using what did toy improve the image, thanks.

I dont have Photoshop (I must get it though) I just uploaded the photo to my Flickr account and edited it using Picknik, its a free service and isn't too bad to be honest.