Benefits of moving to cinch/positioner?

alex_m

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry to be pedantic but what you are referring to as cross loading isnt really cross loading anyway.

Cross loading is where the biner is loaded across its minor axis, which is a problem with alloy or plastic gates. Steel gates dont suffer from this to the same degree.

Choking the biner straight off on a lanyard should not result in minor axis loading.

Sorry to be pedantic but what you are referring to as cross loading isnt really cross loading anyway.

Cross loading is where the biner is loaded across its minor axis, which is a problem with alloy or plastic gates. Steel gates dont suffer from this to the same degree.

Choking the biner straight off on a lanyard should not result in minor axis loading.

I guess its more like twisting. I dont have a problem with it personally but felt it was best to mention it.

whats the positioner like on a single line Tully ? can you lower yourself down on it ?

I wil give your method of clipping the caribeaner back on the line.

At first like a lockjack I found it jumpy and bitey. But as you try it more and more you get used to it.

I dont think the ART positioner is recomended for single line use and I only use this method when I need that extra lenthg in my 2nd line or for positioning in complicated situations.

The method of looping the line around the krab instead of knot tying is one trick I learnt and have found to be a good trick but was waiting for a member on here to tell me how unsafe and dangerous I am being.:001_tt2:

You chaps ever used a Petzl grillon as a lanyard/strop? I think that can be used in a similar way as you're describing, except that it comes with its own length of rope.

I used a gri gri for a while as a lanyard adjuster but its not quite right, then the grillion (it has no spring in its mechanism) was better but after that the positioner came out and then the cinch, they are all progressions forwards.

Using a grillion now would be a backward step IMO.

And the lenght of rope it comes with can be chucked and replaced quite easily.

At first like a lockjack I found it jumpy and bitey. But as you try it more and more you get used to it.

I dont think the ART positioner is recomended for single line use and I only use this method when I need that extra lenthg in my 2nd line or for positioning in complicated situations.

The method of looping the line around the krab instead of knot tying is one trick I learnt and have found to be a good trick but was waiting for a member on here to tell me how unsafe and dangerous I am being.:001_tt2:

Sounds safe enough to me.

Try attachign a line 100 foot up a tree and coming down on a single line with just the positioner! I think you will feel its not ideal!!

• 2 months later...

Can the cinch be used safely and effectively on non-dynamic rope??

Would it work as a descender on a 10.5mm static line SRT?

Will it work in a RADS system well?

Please give me some yes answers because I am dying to buy one of these. Just need to justify to myself that it is useful for multiple tasks. Otherwise I will end up getting a grigri for srt rads and descents and just stick with my short vt lanyard.