Are Timberwolf chippers really that good ??

combined tree services

Im not saying you're wrong but I was always told if you are pulled over with a heavy load they will take the chipperweight into account if you are overweight.

I would love to see the actual rules/laws on this as I think it is a problem we all face.

my daily has a train weight of 7t, so i can toe a 3.5t chipper ,but probaly need a taco fitting :thumbdown:

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Further to my post, I have just been and looked at my Vermeer 935, which I have taken out the infeed roller, to sharpen it, the cutter wheel to replace a bearing and a few other bits in the process.

This is a picture of a cutter wheel bearing- only one needed replacing (the other one lol)

[ATTACH]48504[/ATTACH]

As you can see it is very hefty, and very easily replaced,ten bolts to undo and the whole flywheel can be lifted out, and it has a has a grease nipple. None of these would have been possible if built to a budget or weight limit.

The housing for the cutter wheel is made from 13mm steel plate, and the cutter wheel is 38mm thick. Again- not possible if weight or price limitations are adhered to.

[ATTACH]48503[/ATTACH]

Like Deans post after mine, the limitations which manufacturers like timberwolf set themselves, in order to respond to a niche in the market, result in the machines we see.

So perhaps CTS' question ought to have been more along the lines of 'for the price is there anything inherently wrong with TW's?', to which the answer is probably no.

No tommer the answer is still YES there is a problem ! the 190 weighs 1.3 tons and i was not interested in a chipper that is sub 750 kg thus meaning timberwolf have far less excuse as to why sub standard parts a being used when clearly there is a long running problem . i dont expect a chipper that when new cost nearly 19k to be having these problems further to this i cant see that there is any reason that timberwolf can not change the bearing designs , in the long fun a timberwolf works out to be far more expensive to own when you have to contend with the costs associated with bearing failure ie, repair, hire of a chipper to carry on working with etc etc .

No tommer the answer is still YES there is a problem ! the 190 weighs 1.3 tons and i was not interested in a chipper that is sub 750 kg thus meaning timberwolf have far less excuse as to why sub standard parts a being used when clearly there is a long running problem . i dont expect a chipper that when new cost nearly 19k to be having these problems further to this i cant see that there is any reason that timberwolf can not change the bearing designs , in the long fun a timberwolf works out to be far more expensive to own when you have to contend with the costs associated with bearing failure ie, repair, hire of a chipper to carry on working with etc etc .

Thats why I have a vermeer.:biggrin:

like you say cts ,thers no need to use light weight parts on chipper that size as it has no towing restrictions !!

except unless you want to make a chipper to a price, to fill a hole in the market. not everyone wants to buy top dollar machines, or perhaps cant justify the expenditure, but still want to but new/ nearly new.:001_smile:

except unless you want to make a chipper to a price, to fill a hole in the market. not everyone wants to buy top dollar machines, or perhaps cant justify the expenditure, but still want to but new/ nearly new.:001_smile:

i,v had 2, but would only get another if money was realy tight ,last resort purchess,:001_smile:

to be honest i can not see that changing the bearing type is going to add that much to the price of the machine , yes Timberwolf are going to have to re design aspects of the chipper system but in my oppinion this should have been done already as the problems with bearings on most TW chippers is a long standing problem that TW are aware of . i will agree that the chippers do not seem to have the same bearing trouble if you are not chipping to the machines full capacity regularly but on the other hand why buy a machine that your affraid to use to its full capacitty ? . The annoying thing is that if they were to resolve the bearing issue on only the 190 then they would have a cracking chipper .

Actually 19k for a 9 incher is pretty cheap....you can pay more for a 6" machine if you go schleisling...I think that says alot.

tommer 19k for a machine built in this country is not what i would call cheep especially when its is a 7.5 inch chipper not a 9 , yes i agree that schleisling, vermere etc are more expensive by far but look at the pound against the euro at the moment pluss import fees etc , and alot of the gear brought in from the eu or usa is actually put through alot more testing before it is allowed to be sold as a product .