Just Found Out At College....

Baobab

A good indicator would be if a total course price was quoted, even if paid in instalments.

What i paid for the first year was around a grand. That was paid in installments. However, now they want me to sign a new agreement for the second year, with another price. The college tutor was saying that the first year was a ANC Leading into the second year which turned into an AND.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have gone back to do my N.d this year to find out Im on 6weeks probation time So if i make a mistake or dont get along with the fellow students or i may fail the course the college dose not have keep me on there for having to spend no money

/QUOTE]

Just by posting on a forum, you could be found to be in breach of the probation, be careful.

What i paid for the first year was around a grand. That was paid in installments. However, now they want me to sign a new agreement for the second year, with another price. The college tutor was saying that the first year was a ANC Leading into the second year which turned into an AND.

You misunderstand me. What I meant was when you initially signed up for the course, did you sign up for 1 year or two? If you signed up for two years, do not sign a new agreement without getting advice first. I suggest you find out if one of your fellow students kept a copy of the agreement to work with.

Thanks for the reply's Felix.

When i signed up, they told me that it was a two year course. But it was in two stages - I signed last year for the first year which was classed as a Advanced National Cert... on successful completion i can progress to the Advanced National Diploma. Which all in all they told me ends up with a level 3 qualification.

So one year i signed for.

I really feel like they have mislead us with how they have gone about it.

apart from the advice given above there is another way to look at it,, look at the cost to do 30/31 and 38/39 etc... look at what you've got already, ie 30/31,, subtract that from what you've paid so far,,,, that's how much you're out,,, walk away and use the grand to pay for 38/39...then go get a job...

good luck

apart from the advice given above there is another way to look at it,, look at the cost to do 30/31 and 38/39 etc... look at what you've got already, ie 30/31,, subtract that from what you've paid so far,,,, that's how much you're out,,, walk away and use the grand to pay for 38/39...then go get a job...

good luck

Thanks for the reply Ad. The problem is i was under the impression, like many others on the course that we come out with a Level 3 in Arboriculture + the other additional units. That was promised to us.

I mean, they said yesterday that they knew in October 2009 that the funding had been taken away from them - even though they listed the course content with all the above.

What is strange is if they knew about the funding getting taken away from them in October 2009, why did they put us through the CS30/31, [which was completed by students in approx Feb 2010 approx four months later] They also put two lads in for a chipper ticket [Which wasn't mentioned to anyone - but at present they say we have to pay for ourselves even though it was down as we would get that for free] and the bare face lies from the main Arb tutor, backed up with the principle face to face telling us that in June 2010 we were being allocated days in August 2010 that we will take the CS38 unit.

It seems they are trying to use the funding taken away from them as a leverage against us.

All the replies are not a great advert some som of the arb' courses available, and mine is going to add to that.

I took the ND Arb' at Capel Manor College with the understanding that I would get all my tickets. Surprise surprise, I ended up having to pay for them all myself and from another training provider :thumbdown:

The only thing I can say about your situation is that if you have it in writing what will be provided by the college, and they have failed to do this, then that's surely got to be breach of contract? Where's a legal trained AT when you need one??? I'd have thought you should be able to get a refund at the very least. Try and stick with it for the second year though, because you'll get your qualification at the end of it, even if it means you have to do your tickets elsewhere.

All the replies are not a great advert some som of the arb' courses available, and mine is going to add to that.

I took the ND Arb' at Capel Manor College with the understanding that I would get all my tickets. Surprise surprise, I ended up having to pay for them all myself and from another training provider :thumbdown:

The only thing I can say about your situation is that if you have it in writing what will be provided by the college, and they have failed to do this, then that's surely got to be breach of contract? Where's a legal trained AT when you need one??? I'd have thought you should be able to get a refund at the very least. Try and stick with it for the second year though, because you'll get your qualification at the end of it, even if it means you have to do your tickets elsewhere.

Legaly speaking it’s about what you can prove.

If you have a copy of the course syllabus detailing what you should get and when it’s a starting point.

When the institution takes you on as a student you are both entering into a contract. If they haven’t upheld their end of the deal, either fully or in part you are entitled to redress.

Assuming that you can prove (to the satisfaction of the courts) that they said what you claim, and that you fulfilled any pre requisites, it wouldn’t be out of the question for you to get a quote for the training and assessment and take legal action against the college for that amount.

Small claims is probably the way to go, it’s cheap enough and not overly complicated. You should give the other party a “letter before action” (LBA) to allow them to avoid any additional expenses that you intend to reclaim.

Entering into legal action should be a last resort, as a general rule the only people that get wealthy from litigation are litigators.

Andy

Can we have a name of the College or is all that hush hush because of the comments you have made? I may have missed this in the thread so sorry if it has been mentioned.

It sounds like many people on here have been screwed by their College/Place of study. Fortunately i chose Merrist Wood and they were true to their word. I had all my CS tickets before my 1st year was over and participated in a MEWP ticket in the second year, we had to pay extra for this but none of us minded.

I think, as said above, court battles against an education establishment would prove to be rather costly and difficult to win. It is a shame that you didn't recieve a course sylabus which detailed that you would obtain your CS tickets. Sorry i can't be of help but i would like to know, for future reference, which college we are on about?I may have missed this in the thread so sorry if it has been mentioned.