can you run stihl chains on oregon bars and vice versa?

Lorry thompson

:ditto:

The only difference really is how the bar mounts to the saw.

Oh and stihl bars are better since you don't have to grease the sprocket:thumbup1:

Had to be said:001_tongue:

ahaa, i find stihl bars last longer, hand a fairrr few chains on my 361 since new 2 years ago with the same bar

i've never greased oregon bars anyway aha

very unlikely to work i'm afraid mate. in the u.k husky saws are sold with 0.058" gauge bars and chain, and stihl saws are sold with 0.063" gauge bars and chain (40-90cc saws anyhoo)...

easiest option would probably be to get 0.063" gauge oregon bars for your huskys and use stihl chain on all your saws.

hes not asking that

So would say a stihl chain run on an Oregon bar designed to run on a stihl then cheers for your help

answer yes, if chain is the same pitch, guage, ect. as fit for the bar and saw

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes is the answer.

If you want a bar or chain, you only need to give the model of saw and length of bar. The manufacturer of the bar and chain is irrelevant, as long as the guage, pitch etc are correct for the saw/ sprocket. A bar for a husky saw will not fit a stihl and vice- versa, but oregon make bars to fit them all, and chains too. Oregon make the bars for husky anyway, so the new husky will have a bar from the oregon factory on it, with husky written on it instead of oregon.

Cheers flamin ace I never bothered learning all this the shop knows what we have on our saws so I just go in and say I want a chain for that:blushing: it's a total waste of money think the chains work out less than half the price if you knock them up yourself

yeah man it is much cheaper, i have my own roll of chain, a lot of money to splash out with to begin with and seen as though i got a chain breaker and rivet spinner for free i thought i might as well :thumbup::thumbup:

very unlikely to work i'm afraid mate. in the u.k husky saws are sold with 0.058" gauge bars and chain, and stihl saws are sold with 0.063" gauge bars and chain (40-90cc saws anyhoo)...

easiest option would probably be to get 0.063" gauge oregon bars for your huskys and use stihl chain on all your saws.

I use a .63 chain on my processor which has .58 bar but I need the correct chain to wear the bar a bit first if that makes sense. Reason being stihl chain much better than oregon on my Hakki pilki.

I brought an 20" Oragon bar 3/8 chain 1.6mm for my MS390 but found the old hole didn't line up, so ground a small dip to help oil flow. Then brought an old Husky XP266 with a well worn bar. Sthil bars have a wider slot, I fitted a new sprocket on the Husky and made up some spacers to fit the (Sthil) Oragon bar and the oil hole lined up ok ( grind dip up, I will grind the other side later).

Tested the Husky out by ringing up an large Oak bough, and all worked ok.

One tip that may be useful; how to take the sprocket off a Husky without a plugtool?

Remove the pull start assy ( it may get damaged) remove plug and put some rope down the plug hole, this will jam the piston to allow the clutch to be removed.

I got that one from a mate years ago on how to change valve springs etc on a motor - used it many times - never jammed.

Gave the XP266 semi strip, fitted a few new spares and it's running well on the wrong bar.

I may get my son to put some pictures up - Iv'e been it the woods to long to work it out.