Natures perfect Stunt Fell

T14EES T14UNK

You should have settled the rootplate first! As you can't judge how much tension the roots at the bottom are under. You could have got half way down sending it and it could have sat back up as you were cross cutting it sending your saw skywards!

It's roots did look knackered!

Not trying to be rude or diss your job, but as stated above. cutting bits off the top is a bit like messing about with an untripped giant mousetrap. once you have passed the trees tipping point, it can spring back, using the tension in the remaining roots and the sheer weight of the route plate, quicker than you can say "killed in freak accident".

This is the second example of a windblown tree dealt with in an inappropriate manner on this site in as many days.

Watch yourselves out there.

(god, I am feeling gloomy tonight)

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's amazing what will stand back up isn't it mate? I was called out to an emergency job once it was a pop was on the other side of a small river in flood and had gone across the road, it was about three foot across the bottom and I cut the stem at about 20 foot and it just slowly stood back up couldn't believe it

Its also spooky how, when the rootplate has gone back, there is hardly a sign it was ever up. Always thought it would make an ideal final resting place for a rival :-).

Might make a good twist for a murder mystery, maybe I should get typing!!!

Edited by Bolt
stupid keys keep moving about on the keyboard

Looking at your last pics it looked like it did stand back up when it was a few feet long. I've seen rootplates that looked like they weren't going anywhere spring back fairly readily.

It's something you just can't think "oh it will be alright"

And even if it's only you stood near the tree. Your the one who's in harms way!

Only looking out for colleagues. H&S is everyones responsibility

If it's a small tree like that and your experienced and aware of what might happen I cant really see the problem he said he wanted the root to sit back in so he knew it might spring back in job done:thumbup:

Why live with the risk. Its totally simple to eliminate the hazard, and that is to sever the rootplate first.

If you think that a sweet little tree like that hasn't got the ability to catch you out, simply because you are aware the root plate may sit back in, you (or maybe those working with you) may one day have a nasty surprise.

As I posted earlier, in a situation like this, which for many isn't a day to day occurance, you need to watchout for youselves and others.

If it's a small tree like that and your experienced and aware of what might happen I cant really see the problem he said he wanted the root to sit back in so he knew it might spring back in job done:thumbup:

if you were experienced and aware of what might happen youd sever the rootplate first.

Be safe guys :thumbup:

Well all I can say is thank you for anyones care in my safety.

I have never liked severing the roots first because it would still flick the saw somewhere down the cut and the two ends go crashing down. 15yrs later I preferred to use this method on this tree. It worked totally 100% to plan. I know it's not how is taught but....maybe I shouldn't have posted something that wasn't correct procedure and it certainly wasn't to show people 'how' to clear up the tree.

I know that if I or many other experienced and looked up to contractors never ever did anything that wasnt by the book, there wouldn't be many pictures or videos here for us to see.

Anyway, my point I was making was that it was a lucky day for this customer.