Which Camera

RobArb

Here'a a bit about the Sony HX1. Sony DSC-HX1 Review: 1. Introduction: Digital Photography Review

It's tough, has a 20X zoom lens, shoots HD video, takes extreme close-up shots, and has lots of settings to fiddle with.

I've taken thousands of shots and hundreds of hours of video with the HX1 in the last year. You can't go wrong with this workhorse at $400 USD. http://michaeloxman.shutterfly.com/

Both Canon and Nikon have since come out with newer models in the same price range that look good on paper, but I haven't tried them. The Nikon has a 26X lens, and the Canon has a whopping 35X zoom capability.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a Panasonic Lumic DMC-TZ3 - it is only a compact, but is absolutely incredible, and the Macro shots are superb. Ideal for every purpose - the TZ7 is perhaps even better, as it has 12x zoom, whereas my TZ3 is 'only' 10x, but it does have a 28mm. equivalent wide-angle Leica lens. Thoroughly recommended.

I have a Panasonic Lumic DMC-TZ3 - it is only a compact, but is absolutely incredible, and the Macro shots are superb. Ideal for every purpose - the TZ7 is perhaps even better, as it has 12x zoom, whereas my TZ3 is 'only' 10x, but it does have a 28mm. equivalent wide-angle Leica lens. Thoroughly recommended.

These are the ones I was on about, nearly bought one. I found the GPS in the TZ10 a bit pointless (for me anyway) so would have gone for the model before it, nearly did just that, before going for the Panasonic LX5. But this is good advice from Warbaby. (Note the zoom's warbaby quotes and the 3.8 to 6 with digital tricks of the LX5)

Depends what you are looking for really, a very good proper compact like this or the 'semi slr type' high end compact like G11, LX5 etc. They all have plusses and minuses so its easy to get very lost indeed:001_smile:

I'm after a new camera after being inspired by all of your pretty pics but thin ki may have just walked into a minefiled of information:confused1:

I've got about £300-£350 to spend and got a few ideas on what I would like to buy:001_rolleyes: I would really like something with an incredibley good macro shot and just wondered if there's any of you guys and gals out there that can give me an opinion on something you have either owned or have got and think is really good?

Cheers

Rob

Get the Sony A200. Its cheap, very very very good quality and very professional but still easy to use and mess about with. You could get one for 200-250 check it out.

• 2 months later...

sx30is_586x186.gif

Since posting last, I've settled on the Canon Powershot SX30. It has the 35X zoom lens, and its nickname is 'Stalker Cam'. Sitting on the dock, you can climb right in the boat.

None of the other cameras discussed here have extreme closeup ability at a mile away. Looking at trees, details are available that make it seem like a microscope is being used. The lens is also wider angle (24mm, compared to 28mm on other brands), so more of the tree can be included in the view.

This camera has an LCD display screen that swivels for viewing while holding the camera at arms length.

The Sony A200 is archaic, and not a good value, no matter how cheap. Would you buy a 3-4 year old phone?

I also bought & returned to the store a Sony Alpha A33. The video performance was the reason the A33 wouldn't work for me. Photo quality is stellar. The camera heats up when taking video, and automatically shuts down after 15 minutes or so. Also, the loud noise from the motors that power the autofocus & zoom are picked up by the microphone.