How did i miss this? Meripilus again!

shillo

I have mown this grass path nearly every week now for about 10 years and ive had a keen eye on this Beech the whole time. I cant believe that i have missed these fruiting bodies over the years and i cant believe that this would have been the first year that the fruiting bodies have shown themselves or is that possible?:confused1:

P1030466.jpg.0e2822c2dc5a7b035b2c3b3611762776.jpg

Yes its entirely possible that this fungus wasn't seen on the tree in the last few years. Doesn't mean to say that it hasn't been there or that it didn't fruit 10 years agos.

In my experinence the majority of contractors see tree fungi as a cash cow because its easy to lead the client towards an expensive tree removal job.

How does your client feel about the tree? If they want it down for other reasons then then fell it. Do they want it felled because now the fungi has fruited they are terrified it will fall down? (often because of fears installed into then by contractors which have been called to offer "advice")

If your client values the tree as is willing to explore the options of assessing the extent of decay then PM me. I may be able to help and if not a colleague of mine also in Devon has been managing trees with Meripilus for 15 years.

Yes its entirely possible that this fungus wasn't seen on the tree in the last few years. Doesn't mean to say that it hasn't been there or that it didn't fruit 10 years agos.

In my experinence the majority of contractors see tree fungi as a cash cow because its easy to lead the client towards an expensive tree removal job.[/b]How does your client feel about the tree? If they want it down for other reasons then then fell it. Do they want it felled because now the fungi has fruited they are terrified it will fall down? (often because of fears installed into then by contractors which have been called to offer "advice")

If your client values the tree as is willing to explore the options of assessing the extent of decay then PM me. I may be able to help and if not a colleague of mine also in Devon has been managing trees with Meripilus for 15 years.

So you can "manage" the tree for less than the cost of removing it??

Do you accept responsibility for the tree once you begin the management??

Depends on how much it would cost to remove it. Not all tree owners are driven primarily be cost. If the tree is highly valued then they may want to take steps to investigate the extent of a problem before taking extreme action which may be premature in the least if not un necessary.

Do you accept responsibility for the tree once you begin the management??

In a sense you have to be prepared too.

The piont is that just because the fungus is there does not mean that the tree is so rotton it is about to fall down. If you investigate the decay and it is shot the the management option would be to fell. If there are a few dead roots which are infected but the rest of the root system is intact, then felling might be an over reaction.

By that single photo we know nothing of the extent of decay health of the tree or what could be damaged if it fell.

Depends on how much it would cost to remove it. Not all tree owners are driven primarily be cost. If the tree is highly valued then they may want to take steps to investigate the extent of a problem before taking extreme action which may be premature in the least if not un necessary.

Indeed, but in your first post (the part I highlighted in bold) you suggested that felling was the expensive option and contractors were cashing in.

I think in reality you need to explain to the customer that retaining the tree could be quite expensive and there is a fair chance it will need to be remove at some point, so this is far more expensive over all.

As long as the customer is happy with this and values the tree enough to make the investment, thats fine.

In my experinence the majority of contractors see tree fungi as a cash cow because its easy to lead the client towards an expensive tree removal job.

Bit sweeping is that Gibbon :001_smile:

In my experience the majority of contractors are ignorant to the types and effects of different fungi.

But as Dave as said above, if it is a terminal ailment then why manage and add cost to the client. As you are aware, sometimes reductions can be more costly than removals

If they are so passionate about retaining a mature tree then replace with an extra heavy standard.

...and we all cash in on Tree work

Dean..please! Change the tune. Meripilus is not NECESSARILY terminal..at least no more terminal than life as a whole, ending as it does with all things returning to the dirt.

It is not tree care if you do not make the situation known to the client.....It's the client's tree afterall- and their money!