MaxJ

• 9 months later...

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I know this is an old thread but it has been a great read tonight as I just walked away from a job I was asked to price due to LV powerlines within 5m of a 60ft silver birch. I was wondering if I had done the right thing but I guess I have. He did tell me he had recieved a quote from another firm which was close to what I would have put on the job without the hazard. (this was after i told him I could not do it) Do any of you guys charge more if hazards are prrsent?

recently got stuffed on a job, 2 leaning pines over lv didnt want the job as customer was skint told ring edf they should do it for nowt, apparently though unless trees are in the line they wont touch them and got told that by the guys to clear trees in the line down the way with a 50ft mewp, ended up doing the job with the customer as my grounds man not a fun day.

I've never heard of "insulated lines" thats a myth as far as I've been told. Maybe England different?

Some utilities did run some testing on insulated conductors several years ago. Not sure how much further they went with it but at the time it consisted of leaving a felled tree across all three phases of a 11KV feeder to see how long it was before there was any noticable trickle or similar. This was a controlled experiment on a closed circuit.

Today people assume because the conductor has black rubber or plastic around it it is insulated. This, as far as I am aware, is a myth. The black outer is just weatherproofing and nothing more. Further, if any line was fully insulated it only takes a pin prick hole to negate that insulation. As many lines have rubbed against trees then there is every likelihood that any outer would have been worn away. In NZ they do use what is known as neutral screen core. This means that between the outer layer and the inner, live, core there is a wrap of aluminum which is neutral. Should something cut through the wire the elctricity is immediately earthed through this wrap rather than through whatever has cut through it......if that makes sense.

cant believe what im reading here you absolutely cant touch any conductors weather covered or not note i said covered not insulated if the conductors are in contact with trees its more than likely the power will have to be isolated

terry

cant believe what im reading here you absolutely cant touch any conductors weather covered or not note i said covered not insulated if the conductors are in contact with trees its more than likely the power will have to be isolated

terry

Sorry Terry, should have stated that the neutral screen core doesn't give you cart blanche to go grabbing conductors. It is a secondary protection only for those stupid enough not to adhere to the minimum approach distances. As I said, insulated should not be used to describe any conductor. That includes telephone wires too.