Mt. Shasta dead ponderosa removal

Oxman

stearns.jpg

Ox in Stearns Redwood - Montgomery Woods, California

1987 Photo by Jerry Beranek. . From: "A Tree Story CD-ROM"

Here's an answer to the previous question. At 1:39 in the video, the butt cut bound up due to my sloppy face cut. Pure laziness.

I lost any energy reserve when they left me hanging there for 20 minutes & drove off to the chain saw shop to buy a new chain for the 32" bar. All the momentum & pace of 2 days on the job drained away.

Of course, a new 36" chain should have been purchased also, which there was no way of knowing at the time.

I alluded to the saw chains being sharpened choppily. This was an understatement. The teeth on one side of the chain were filed with a backslope. This prevented bite, and the saw was running at high RPM without engine load. My butt was up against that shed with the crushed roof, which should have been moved out of there. There wasn't room to drive wedges.

Hope you liked the Black Fox. Is the Treehouse Project video popular on your side of the pond? How about the Bull Buck?

Those two movies are available from Jerry Beranek, at the very bottom of the A Tree Story: books and videos by Gerald F Beranek web page. I have to thank him for guiding the climb up the 336' Stearns Redwood tree back in 1987.

BTW, speaking of big ol monsters, Neville Fay will be here next week for the annual training conference of the Pacific Northwest Chapter - International Society of Arboriculture.

We have about 2,000 members in our chapter, which spans both Canada & the US. The venue is Point Defiance Park, where there are some rather significant old trees. He was here 2 years ago speaking on management of the big daddies.

International Society of Arborists Pacific Northwest Chapter - Annual Training Conference

Edited by Steve Bullman

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[bTW, speaking of big ol monsters, Neville Fay will be here next week for the annual training conference of the Pacific Northwest Chapter - International Society of Arboriculture.

We have about 2,000 members in our chapter, which spans both Canada & the US. The venue is Point Defiance Park, where there are some rather significant old trees. He was here 2 years ago speaking on management of the big daddies. ]

Blimey Mr Fay is for sure a busy boy next week.

He's addressing the delegates at the Arb Association Conference in Manchester early part of next week aswell.

Say hello to him when ya see him :001_smile:

Here's an outtake that I missed on my hard drive. Most of the editing was done at Out 'N' About Treesort. , where we kicked back after the job to unwind by going ziplining. That video is next.

Remember the Histree? I topped out this 8' dbh Quercus kellogii about 3 years ago from 120' down by half. It is now lying on the ground. Totally rotted out. Stay tuned.

See the extra face that was mangled by the curve-cutting saw? It became so deep from touching it up that I thought it was going over backwards. So, it was abandoned. A new face was cut slightly below.

Notice the tag line was not set high enough. The running bowline got hooked on a stub. Nathan (the foreman) pointed it out, but I was just too beat to go back up there & reset it.

Right around this time the 046 was being held by a separate hoisting line that was secured to the trunk by my feet. This is a provision of ANSI. Does the British standard include a provision for retaining heavy saws?

Chris did a nice job of tracking the moving object with the camera from the bucket. He's a professional photo journalist.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12yuRbyD63s]YouTube - Mt. ShastaPine Removal Log Drop outtake[/ame] It can be zoomed in on if it has its own browser. youtube.com/watch?v=12yuRbyD63s

It would be great if someone could estimate the length of the log by calibrating it to my height.

Edited by Oxman

Sorry that last link didn't work. Found another clip!

This one is the next chunk. Complete with tracking. It has been spliced onto the tail end of the first outtake.

Yes, it was wrong. Good eye! As long as they were landing flat, the prettiness of the face wasn't too big of a bother. As a euc man, the only thing that matters is the crotch, and getting to the pub in one piece. Let the fighting begin!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5iq8mZjudJY]YouTube - Mt. ShastaPine Removal Log Drop outtake 2[/ame]

Edited by Oxman

really nice vids thanks for sharing, the work your doing is a lot more advanced than what i do on a daily basis! i love that last video, just the fact you have the onions to drop them pieces that close to the fence, i would smash it to bits if i tried that haha!