Which cheap 4x4

blue beastie

If you'd £1000 - £1500 to spend on a cheap 4x4 where'd you spend your money?

Doesn't need to tow enormous loads or anything just carry a bloke, his dog and a couple of saws etc round some forestry tracks and snowy winter roads.

Ancient Landy, Daihatsu Fourtrak, Ford Maverick (yuck - although I know a bloke who swears by his), Suzuki Vitara......

What do you all think?

Ta.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Older land rover- you can get early tdi's for that money, which will have had most things changed by that time. They are very cheap on parts too. Or an Sj as has been said. I would personally steer clear of the likes of hi-luxes for that price. I have had a couple, and they kept going wrong. I think for something jap at that price it would be almost on its last legs, and they are VERY pricey to repair too.

Thanks all, keep 'em coming.

What are the differences between the SJ410 and SJ413 - is it just the hard/soft top?

410 is one litre and 413 is 1.3 - but you'll do well to find one in any sort of half decent nick.

I'd say jimny is definitely worth a look and you'd get a minter for that sort of money. Their fantastic little trucks and take the SJ to the next level. We've had ours about three years and it's been great.

TDI Discovery would be worth a look too.

I'm not a fan of series land rovers but maybe I've just not given them chance. For the sort of money your looking to spend, as much as it pains me to say it, I'd steer clear of defender or earlier as all you'd be doing is buying problems.