what tyres do you recomend?

stigwood

I've always got on well with the BFG Muds and am still running a set that were on the 130 when I bought it around 4 years or so ago and they're still doing well on the 90. Haven't tried the new BFG mud but have heard lots good about them.

Had the BFG AT/s on the hilux and they were great on the road bu terrible in the woods as they cloggesdup and didn't self clean well. Have the same (just different size) on the discovery at the moment and they have been great, though the disco doen't really go off road as such. The only time we ever had a problem was a wet field with the trailer on - once the trailer sunk in a bit and the tread started to clog it spun one wheel, then another and came to a stop but to be fair I think anything would have struggled where we were.

Either way - all the BFG's I've run have lasted ages, it's always been mechanical damage that's ended them.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Had a set of 265 75 16's Hankook RT03. Got rid of vehicle now that they were on but I reakon I could have pushed 50k miles off them. Good off road, fairly quiet on road and took some fair knocks and scrapes! Only thing is they didn't self clean too well, but hardly got stuck with them, apart from being silly! Think they were £500 for 4 steel wheels and the 4 tyres, so not too bad price wise either!

I'm looking for some tyres for my disco myself at the mo. I'm going for BFG mud terrains but I'm not sure what size to go for. Will prob go for R16 alloy's, I've had a 3" lift done, but don't want to trash my half-shafts, what size rubber to invest in, recommendations please?

I run 285/75/16 BFG. I reckon they would fit under a 3" lift on a disco, but they rub the arches on standard height. If not i would go for 265s. 285s are fine on a defender, but be aware that your speedo will be almost exactly 10% out.

BTW i pay £137/ tyre fitted balanced VAT etc. About the cheapest i have found anywhere on that size.

Edited by tommer9

The first BFG Mud T/As I put on my Disco (TD5 Disco 2) were 245/75x16 which is generally reckoned to be the largest that will fit a standard Disco 2.

When they needed renewing after 100k miles I couldn't get 245s so fitted 265/75x16 instead, whcih everyone at the time told me wouldn't fit. They do fit perfectly and have never touched the body or arches (at it's done some fairly severe off-road work) but I did have to trim about an inch off the panel at the bottom of the front bumper (the bit that connects the leading edge of the wheelarch liner to the bumper) and I did already have fitted a Gulf-Spec front bumper, the one which doesn't have the air dam at the bottom (and therefore doesn't double as a bulldozer/snowplough).

I think that 285/75x16 would fit under a 3" lift but you may want 30mm spacers between the wheel and the hub.

If it was my choice, I would stick with 265s.

As fo who to buy tyres from might be worth looking at Event tyres, not sure they are where you are but i would expect so, they are a mobile fitting service and will come to your home or where you are working and fit them, the were about 140 quid cheaper than any of the local tyre places to myself when i had 4 fitted . ordered on the monday they came and fitted tuesday afternoon. very good service all in all