self employed

English-arb

hi guys, just wondering if being self employed is better than being employed by another company.

I know there is advantages and disadvantages on both side but more interested in whether there plenty of contract climbing work out there and roughly what you think is a fair price for a contract climber.

cheers

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

to be honest i would go sef employed , it gives you more scope to work in a wider area for several companies , there are also the tax benifits and your the boss , as for how much to charge it really depends on how good you are at your job and how much kit your willing to bring , i used to supply all of my own saws so if i needed a saw with a 30 inch bar sending up to me then it would be my saw that was sent up , if i had to take a rigging kit with me then they would be paying extra .

Do you want the easy life of 9-5 no evening and weekend quotes and knowing what money you are getting on a set day each week/month or do you want the challenge of finding your own work, potentially quoting on your days off but being your own boss. Can you afford unpaid holidays or unpaid bad weather days? Are you a good enough business man?

That question is nearly as wide open as which is best Stihl or Husky!!!

so you would charge a little extra then if you used your own kit, can you give me any price example? Im a competant climnber and have the basic tickets including rigging added to the fact ive been climbing for 18months what kinda of price would you epect someone like me to charge.

Would you add extra for your own insurance etc..

without sounding harsh but in order to determine what you honestly warent being payed for a days work you need to be seen climbing , i once made the mistake of taking a guy on that was "compitent climber" and had agreed a price. but in reality when he got climbing he was not at all good and he had to be asked to come down . you could well be a good climber but you need to work for what you feel you are worth , as for using your own kit and insurance you will need both of these to be officially self employed , there is no was i would bring in a climber and expect to lend him any gear .

I would hazard a guess that you have asked an impossible question. What a climber earns varies wildly, depending on all sorts of factors, such as location, experience, generosity of boss etc etc.

I think the only way you are going to find out for sure, is to work out/ decide what you need/ want to earn, apply for a few jobs, and see what you can get away with charging.

I'm going to be negative here but please don't take offence. There are lots of very experienced climbers looking for work atm and imo it will get worse. If you have a decent paid full time job then I would stick at it for now.

Or if you like I could be positive and say, go out there on your own and be your own boss, life is what you make it, don't work for someone who is going to make all the money life is great then your self employed.

Depending on how good you are but more importantly how much work is available in your area one of the above might put you on the dole.

ok i hear what your all saying. im just trying to find a ball park figure, perhaps it might be easier to ask what is the amount you would think "no way am i going to pay that for a climber" or a minimum where perhaps you be thinking "well he must be brand new". I know its a difficult question to ask but i was thinking for a competant climber who has a couple years under his belt then £90-£100 a day is reasonable because ive seen older threads on here where new climbers that want to be self employed ask a similar question and people have given advice that they should charge around £75 a day roughtly.

wondered what everyone else thought.