Roadside Decay

David Humphries

I'll try & remember to go back later this year.

If you want to see the biggest hispidus brackets youll EVER see roadside you really must check out the grove! That old ash with the helical fracture about 1/4 mile up from WW carpark.

This bracket forms like clockwork each year and the first time it came out it was nigh on 3ft across!:thumbup:

It was a sight to behold:001_cool:

If you want to see the biggest hispidus brackets youll EVER see roadside you really must check out the grove! That old ash with the helical fracture about 1/4 mile up from WW carpark.

This bracket forms like clockwork each year and the first time it came out it was nigh on 3ft across!:thumbup:

It was a sight to behold:001_cool:

What...........this one ? :biggrin:

IMG_4391.JPG.46754938f6f8ee56cd81fdc990ce4fd8.JPG

IMG_4389.JPG.f3abea841dac70ffcc97a0aaf9555924.JPG

IMG_4388.jpg.898320e5d96e14c46d1e33824b7ff25b.jpg

also as you now now exactly where im talking about, later in the autumn walk further up almost to where the trades come in to the grove and youll come across magnificant and huge magpie inkcaps amoung a soggy bit of path near the last few oaks in the group, and one of these oaks has dryadeus too. There are many funky mycos along this strip at the right times, and a regular site for the crested coral too under the beeches near to this ash.

this little strip is a very interesting plot, make sure you travel both ways left and right from the whip car park, there is a nice group of trees on the waay back down the hill, a vet ash ive been meaning to record for ages and a beech stump with some special fungi too.

Dont ask me how the hell I remembered all that off the top of my head!

• 1 month later...
Here's a Beech ... pic was last year, Trees still there, fungs a fair bit bigger.

David,

Did you identify the species ? To me it looks a lot like a perennial bracket of Fomitopsis pinicola, which causes brown rot in this beech.

David,

Did you identify the species ? To me it looks a lot like a perennial bracket of Fomitopsis pinicola, which causes brown rot in this beech.

gano if you ask me, and would lay good money on that.

brown rot in beech is so rare here, and only have I found it to be caused by laetiporus with one exception of daedalea quercina on a fallen beech.

gano if you ask me, and would lay good money on that. brown rot in beech is so rare here, and only have I found it to be caused by laetiporus with one exception of daedalea quercina on a fallen beech.

Tony,

It has some distinct characteristics of Fomitopsis pinicola, the very fine yellowish pores locally turning reddish (after guttation), the yellowish sharp margin of the perennial bracket and the multiple reddish concentric zoning of the crust.

And in The Netherlands it was, apart from Coniophora species living on/of dead wood, the first necrotrophic parasitic species to cause brown rot in beech, on which it meanwhile has become quite common.

Tony,

It has some distinct characteristics of Fomitopsis pinicola, the very fine yellowish pores locally turning reddish (after guttation), the yellowish sharp margin of the perennial bracket and the multiple reddish concentric zoning of the crust.

And in The Netherlands it was, apart from Coniophora species living on/of dead wood, the first necrotrophic parasitic species to cause brown rot in beech, on which it meanwhile has become quite common.

are you thinking of this one? G.australe/applanatum, australe most likely:001_smile: it has brown spores too

DSC07223.JPG.906b9b269bbb9fa8e749fa5ff9940171.JPG

Edited by Tony Croft aka hamadryad

are you thinking of this one? G. australe most likely it has brown spores too

Yes I am, and I don't see traces of reddish brown spores on top and/or underneath the bracket on the bark, which you normally would expect to be present if Ganoderma was concerned, but anyhow, a second look and positive identification of the species would be necessary.

Yes I am, and I don't see traces of reddish brown spores on top and/or underneath the bracket on the bark, which you normally would expect to be present if Ganoderma was concerned, but anyhow, a second look and positive identification of the species would be necessary.

look to the right of the bracket and level with it, the stain is there, fruit body is in an elevated position exposed to winds, rarely to high ganos get the build up of spore associated with thier kind, the breeze carries them away to easily.

a fresh layer IMO has formed and only just begun sporalating too.:biggrin: