Yale Limelight

Frank

This isn't just a dig at you High Scale but some "Senior" (outspoken) members on here should have the responsibility to get their facts correct if they want to quote to the masses. It's not fair on the folk using this site for good advice if the senior members are getting stuff wrong. It’s not brain surgery to get facts right before spouting off and if you want to be taken seriously do some homework.

Well that sounds like a proper telling off doesn't it? I don't care about being taking seriously, I have nothing to gain with my questioning only the quiet satisfaction that I'm starting to get on your nerves, homework? I haven't done any, just going on what my contact at Wesspur has told me who finds the Bluemoon information given here equally odd, email Yale? Maybe but the last contact I had with them Via Nigel resulted in confused identities which led me to believe that maybe they had a kind of biased view of my posting.

Anyway, you get back to your money making and I'll get back to mine.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also, as one of the "Masses" on this site that has a small interest in ropes, when somebody tells me that one sort of rope is different from a similar type of rope that has no CE mark, I would quite like to know what that difference is and the reason why CE construction is so very different from non CE construction when it comes to testing?

Again, cut and pasted from Honey Brothers site.

Yale Cordage have redesigned the Poison Ivy/Poison Hi-vy rope so that it meets the CE type A standard for ropes. The redesign was very specific and in the end, had very little effect on the outstanding performance of these ropes. The Poison Ivy/Poison Hi-vy ropes we stock are specifically for CE markets. They are not availalbe for sale in the US. The yellow tracer in our Poison Ivy and Poison Hi-vy ropes is unique to the CE Type A approved version of this rope. The yellow tracer is clearly visible in our pictures. The Poison Ivy and Poison Hi-vy sold in the US does not have this tracer nor does it meet the CE Type A standard. Climbers familiar with the Poison Ivy/Poison Hi-vy rope might wonder about this yellow tracer.

Yes, I wonder about that yellow tracer.

Edited by High Scale

Also, as one of the "Masses" on this site that has a small interest in ropes, when somebody tells me that one sort of rope is different from a similar type of rope I would quite like to know what that difference is and the reason why CE construction is so very different from non CE construction when it comes to testing, so you don't like it? So what?

My understanding is that CE testing of rope products are required to go through far stricter tests to meet the European EN 1891 standard. This same test level is not found in America (but I understand they are looking at it) . The EN tests were agreed and set out by industry experts (what do they know eh!) not uneducated idiots.

CE tests and EN standards are there to ensure climber safety and are required if you want to comply with LOLER, HSE and industry best practice as laid out by the experts who sit on AFAG oh and as an asside your insurance probably won't cough up if you have an accident and your not using CE tested item's and end up in a wheel chair.

But I am sure none of this will stop you doing what you want, go ahead break a leg, neck, back etc.

Edited by ArbjobsNick

Highscale, as a distributor we have an obligation to supply the industry with certified products, you would be the first to complain if you had purchased an item which was then condemed as unfit as it did not meet industry standards. If information is given incorrectly on here we have to correct this before you mis-inform to many other people. Regarding your comment about your contact at Wesspur this company mainly supply the American market with little understanding of the European Standards and Laws.

My understanding is that CE testing of rope products are required to go through far stricter tests to meet the European EN 1891 standard. This same test level is not found in America (but I understand they are looking at it) . The EN tests were agreed and set out by industry experts (what do they know eh!) not uneducated idiots.

CE tests and EN standards are there to ensure climber safety and are required if you want to comply with LOLER, HSE and industry best practice as laid out by the experts who sit on AFAG oh and as an asside your insurance probably won't cough up if you have an accident and your not using CE tested item's and end up in a wheel chair.

But I am sure none of this will stop you doing what you want, go ahead break a leg, neck, back etc.

Very good, I know all that and I don't use non CE marked products anyway and have never said that I do, I do however change the construction of my CE marked ropes by splicing them myself, this of course is strictly wrong and I shouldn't do it but I'm not a frikken idiot, I hang my life off my splices every day, I trust my splices, I trust myself, if I break anything it won't be a result of a failed splice. Loler? Yes I comply, yes I have the qualification.

Highscale, as a distributor we have an obligation to supply the industry with certified products, you would be the first to complain if you had purchased an item which was then condemed as unfit as it did not meet industry standards. If information is given incorrectly on here we have to correct this before you mis-inform to many other people. Regarding your comment about your contact at Wesspur this company mainly supply the American market with little understanding of the European Standards and Laws.

Thanks for the reply Nigel, my ppe is always in top condition and I inspect my own kit so rest assured that I won't be the first to complain if any of it got condemned.

I applaud you for your efforts I really do but you must understand when I am told certain information my very nature demands an understanding of said information, I am not having a dig at you or your company, I am not your competition and never will be as for Wesspur and my contact, who will also never challenge your market dominance, I think you would be surprised about how much knowledge he actually has and really, why would he lie? Or is he playing some strange kind of game with me? He actually went and checked the stock for he was as confused as I was.

Homework.

Perhaps I have it all wrong and I apologize if I have, I will await Jamies response.

Curiosity killed the cat.

I have just called Yale Cordage and spoken with Christine Bowie, who confirmed that yes indeed they only make one version of Bluemoon, which in the past has all been CE marked. However, she did say that they have recently begun to label the unspliced hanks differently in response to customer complaints here in the US that pieces labeled as 45 meters were not quite the same length as the 150 feet people thought they were buying (45 meters is actually only 147.5 feet). I will send an email to Jamie Goddard and cc you so you can get the truth right from the horse's mouth. Who is it that is making you out to be a liar? If they don't believe you, then feel free to give them Jamie's email address as well.

Edited by High Scale

Homework.

Perhaps I have it all wrong and I apologize if I have, I will await Jamies response.

[/i]

High Scale, thats very decent of you to admit you may be wrong. In return I appologise if I have been a bit too harsh on you its just so frustrating when you know whats right and factualy correct. The forum is a bugger for it, as its one mans word against another. Will try and remember your just curious next time and not bite so hard.

Re: Hand splicing I don't even want to get in to the whole spliced eye thing again I think I laid out my argument on that subject in a very detailed and clear statement within a seperate thread on here some months back and to date as far as I am aware nothing has changed.

Guys Guys Guys.....

I think we are getting out of hand here....wasnt this thread to be about Limelite? Poor Darren you got more than you asked for here....

1. Blue Moon is not CE - never has been - no plan to do it as of yet

2. Wesspur was simply mistaken in the Blue Moons characteristics and I find no fault in that but my own for not making it more clear to them. It is in our catalog, and on our website, both published with NO CE certifications claimed. I would not always rely on a re-sellers website as a sole source of information as there is lots of cut copy paste and information gets left out all the time. I would however refer to the manufacturers websites to find most information

3. I feel Nigel has explained the differences in all these ropes very well. And as he has stated, Fletcher Stewart is a Yale Distributor, I feel they are very knowledgable about our product and how we make it, even on how we make ropes that they dont carry, so they can at least explain the differences. This is what we feel a quality distributor does, represents the manufacturer and fields local product inquiries, such as these.

4. The infamous yellow tracer - its a way for Yale, Sherrill, and any user for that matter, to be able to identify the right version of Foreign or Domestoc Poison Ivy HiVy slotted for the next sale. Its nothing more, nothing less. The yellow tracer is there to ID the rope as the CE veriosn, if you cut the rope, inside should be a piece of flat core tape with the manufactirers name, date of mfg, and the descrption of the ropes characteristics. If you really want to do "homework" get a piece of each and cut it up.

I dont know how to do the fancy quote thing so I will aslso try to answer everyones questions best I can:

Darren:I know you only wanted find out about Limelite - yes, this is a CE approved rope Type A en1891 - sold in the US by Bishop and in the UK by Buxtons and possibly others. It is bigger than Blaze as Blaze is 11mm and the Limelite is 11.7mm

Darren: what do you mean by "Real Tree" Camo?

Burrell - Im glad you like the IMORI

John Dawson: Limelite PI, and BM are all 11.7mm but IMORI is a bit larger. The IMORI has some different fibers in the cover to give the rope a better grip right out of the bag, a bit more broken in feel and it gives the rope an added size advantage...also, Yellow Jacket is a Samson Rope, Prostripe is Yales....Thanks for all your help here

HighScale: I dont know what to say to you...I am very sorry that you felt like you got:handed off: or the "last conversation resulted in confused identities", however, I dont recall any direct emails or phone calls from you so once again please forgive me. I cant be on here all the time and thats why I rely on my distributors to do so on my behalf. Since Fletcher Stewart answered all these questions correctly and professionally, I have even more confidence now they are up to the job of properly representing us and our products in the UK.

Lastly, I am slightly bothered by the fact that both my name, and our customer service managers name are being tossed around here as if you actually called and spoke with her when you did not. In fact, it was Wesspur who called into Yale to ask these questions and the information you gathered from their response is more than incorrect and very misleading to others reading this post. I'm not calling you a liar and if you, or anyone would care to email the factory with a question I can be reached many ways. this is one of them - Ask Jamie - Arborist Rope | Yale Cordage

Kind regards

Jamie Goddard

Senior Account Manager

Arborist Product Manager

Yale Cordage, Inc.

Thank you Jamie so much for having the time and decency to come here and give your highly valued explanation. It is very much appreciated.

As for the limelight, I think I'll pop into Buxtons if they have a stand at the annual trade fair and see if I can get my hands on some.

Real tree camo is like the "mossy oak" designs that hunting gear is made from. Impossible to make ropes out of I know.