300tdi wot, another engine

Dean Lofthouse

Ho Ho ! I've had that an odd time.

Years ago the old major with the cooks winch conked out on a council site and I had to drop nearly a full tank to get to get the filter cleaned out and get going. I got soaked and had to change into some spare jeans.

Nowt worse than diesel flavoured sandwiches :puke:

Managed to get it down to a fine art after a few times: would unscrew it so far and then be ready with a fresh tap and filter so as soon as the bklocked one was out the other was jammed in and screwed tight. In the end I had to drain the tank and wipe it clean as i'd only get a days running before the filter clogged up again :thumbsdown:

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

just picked up the nearly new engine I bought from ebay. Looks as though it has at some point been exposed to the elements and it hasn't got injectors in :scared:

I was anticipating taking the head off and fine honing the cylinders. However, when I arrived back home my endoscope had arrived, all £300 worth.

Had a look in the cylinders through the injector hole and lo and behold, water in the cylinder marks. I tried moving the pistons which weren't seized, it looked like surface rust so I filled the cylinders with diesel and turned them over slowly, working them up and down steady.

Blew the cylinders out with the airline and reinspected, Clean as a whistle, so the endoscope has paid for itself already. I have also seen that the cross hatching on the cylinder walls is totally unmarked so the engine hasn't even been ran in.

It has a funny adaptor instead of the flywheel, which will tie in with what the lad said about it has only ever ran on a bench for some unknown reason.

Nice engine though, going to ebay the disco fly by wire injector pump and the aircon pump which are water marked but can tell they are as new.

Want to find a mouse hole to try my endoscope on next

I,ve dropped screws into the carb or inlet manifolds numerous times

Just reminded me has that Mike.

Should be on the tips page this though.

If you ever come across one of those curved magnets, like the ones in a DC motor preferably two, put them on your oil filter, one on either side.

Any metalic bits, including minute stuff is captured, I have done this for 20 years and right at the beginning I disected a filter, you wouldn't believe the microscopic crap that they catch.

I could have done with your endoscope this morning Dean.The end of the dipstick on the mog snapped off and I had to fish around in the sump with a peice of wire and a magnet.

Who has the dipstick snap? Come on!

I have :wave: was my own fault though, tried dipping the ol on the tractor when it was running, it caught on something and ended up three inches shorter :scared: