Method Statements an insult to intelligence

Dean Lofthouse

I did the AA RA workshop and got there pack of RA's.

It contains generic RA's for all our day to day operations, and then you just fill in a SSRA that lists the generic RA's that relate to this site and you then add any additional risks specific to this site and put down details required to get any emergency services to site swiftly and the most likely rescue method that would be used in the event of the climber needing it, but as many of us on the course pointed out, this changes as the job progresses, it could be a rescue from the crown in the morning and a pole rescue in the afternoon.

I think the AA have produced a very workable and convenient system, that help you comply with the legislation without wasting half your day.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Certainly the only if not the best answer to the debating question.

Method statement is a clear sign of professionalism. Keep a generic set on file and change to suit the particular works. Obviously the bits to keep are '....arrive on site, inspect, perform RA, brief groundsfolk, allocate equip-mchiine-RA-H&S Policy locations, blah de blah blah blah....' and so on.

In respect to questionaires, I'd prefer to send my own formats. as er man says a quote with MS and one without. yeeah.

Remember, not everyone knows the exact procedures of tree work.......boggle them

Remember, not everyone knows the exact procedures of tree work.......boggle them

So why do they need to :001_smile:

I get a television engineer in to mend my tele, I dont want to know how or what he is doing step by step, I just trust his professionalism and skills.

A method statement is not a clear sign of professionalism, even a dummy can fill one in, doing the job safely and proficiently is a clear sign of professionalism :001_smile:

So why do they need to :001_smile:

I get a television engineer in to mend my tele, I dont want to know how or what he is doing step by step, I just trust his professionalism and skills.

A method statement is not a clear sign of professionalism, even a dummy can fill one in, doing the job safely and proficiently is a clear sign of professionalism :001_smile:

:congrats::congrats:

You could say that you will remove the tree in accordance with industry best practice as out lined in AFAG 1,2,3,4, (whichever are relevant) and then send them copies or links to these leaflets and leave it at that.

Thats all thay want, is to know its to best standards, they won't have a clue what a good or bad method would be....

Yep, and thats exactly what you can do for your client.

doing a rubbish repair (or bad/unsafe tree work) is still your perogative, depending on how you want your business to progress. We all know you do good work, and thats why you get asked to quote for stuff, they just want soem specifics about the job to shove in the filing sytem with all the other crap.

It won't change what you actually do for them, but your future work will change if you do badly, and the tv repairman will only do a bad repair for you once.

I have a nice generic method statement you can have if you want.

The generic should be the same for every job, cos its, well, "generic". Yes once they have it on file that shoudl do. My complete package is 70 pages, I email that so they can save it or print it and they only get it once!

The only thing you do for every job is a RA, and even then you can tick all the generic bits that apply and just fill in any site specific stuff, which is often nothing.