installing rope guide from the ground.

DrewB

Why not just set a line srt style with a pulley on the end and your climbing line preinstalled on the pulley. Tie the end of the srt line off to a belay device and you can retrieve the whole lot, even with the climber still attached!

Could we have a photo of that please, Pete? Ta

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Why not just set a line srt style with a pulley on the end and your climbing line preinstalled on the pulley. Tie the end of the srt line off to a belay device and you can retrieve the whole lot, even with the climber still attached!

do you mean just an adjustable false crotch using a pulley? choked off around the base of the trunk?

if so, it puts into the realms of multiplying forces doesnt it? not that that necessarily matters

Linda, I'll get a pic tomorrow when its light.

Jim, I dont know what you mean by adjustable false crotch. An ART ropeguide is an adjustable false crotch.

Single line doubles the load on the anchor point, same as rigging using a pulley and lowering device.

On the plus side, the srt line will be over several anchor points through the crown, so not all the proverbial eggs are in one proverbial basket.

If youve got a tree climber's companion handy Peter, Page 50 :icon14: that's where I learnt it from anyway.

pretty much describes exactly what you described to use instead of an ART system.

Since that book was my only way of learning these things for a long long time, that's where a lot of my terminology comes directly from

I use the set up described, pulley tied onto the end of a rope with the rope anchored to the base of the tree (whoopie sling and port-a-wrap) all the time.

I originally started using it because I am of the age where guys seem to start keeling over for no apparent reason and I wanted a simple way for my work partner (my wife) to be able to get me on the ground without a big fuss.

I was originally a bit pissed thinking one more age-related compromise but actually this set up has far more advantages than I was aware of. Not only is an aerial rescue simple to perform from the ground (think about that) it is extremely fast to set up. Getting one end of the line to come down where you want it, tying on the pulley and your climbing line and then pulling the whole set up back up to the selected tie in point is the fastest way to isolate both ends of your climbing line in a thick canopy. It does require care chosing your tie in point because of the additional leverage, but I have not found this to be a problem.

With this setup you can foot lock up both lines and then tie in, or tie in from the ground and work your way up. It's really nice. All I have is this one small pic. I don't know if it will help you at all, but here it is.

Dave

5976534af3ece_FalseCrotchc.jpg.1820ac60991fcb7aebc6705062fdde44.jpg

Interestingly that's one advantage I hadnt considered. Id thought about the ease of rescue point, but had not thought about its advantages with regards isolating a crotch in a thick canopy. something that seems to take far too long when setting my cambium saver

That seems like alot of hassle to mess around with setting that up. Ive seen alot of these. Are there any real benifits to them and if so, what.~?:icon14:

Ian, That was just my point. If you have to preset a line that requires both ends of your rope coming down on the same side of the tree without being split by the multiple branches of a thick canopy or if you need to set a cambium or friction saver, the method described above is actually much faster and easier to install.

Though this is a significant benefit as a time saving factor the aerial rescue capability from the ground is one of the terms tossed out as kind of a side benefit, but like I said, really, think about that. The safety benefits are so far reaching that I am surprised that more research has not been done to develop this type of system to its maximum potential. And I do believe there is room for improvement.

David

Jim, not got the TCC, but I think we are describing the same thing.

Here is a pic of what I am thinking of.

Its not the best system for dismantling, rigging lines are likely to tangle and if you drop a piece onto the system it will tow you up the tree. Also remember not to go over the top anchor point as you will fall out.

For access in thick canopy or ivy covered trees or even to climb the dreaded monkey puzzle, it is very useful.

5976534f8e059_floatingfalsecrotch2.jpg.fff6e38018565ebfeb817b08fe66766f.jpg