Afag guides/toilet paper, whats the difference?

RobRainford

I think it comes down to aiming for minimum impact. The argument that using spikes causes a few small wounds that will heal is perfectly valid, especially when you think of the damage done to trees by boring insects, woodpeckers, squirrels, windy days etc etc- the trees survive, fine in 99% of cases. They have an inbuilt machanism, which is wht they have outlastd most animal species. However, the point of not using spikes, and of catrrying out BS3998 pruning cuts, is surely little more than trying to minimise our impact from what we as a race see as essential works (safety of humans, making space for developments etc etc) and being able to hold our heads up and say 'I have been of minimum impact, therefore i can sleep at night@. I mean, nobody checks the pruning cuts in the middle of a wood after a windy night and then complains about the bark tears from the damage, and the tree surives perfectly well in our absence, Furthermore we are now, as an industry and a forum, examining such things as 'Natural Fracture Pruning'(ripping branches off which is a millino miles from 3998) or coro cutting, again which bears no resemblance to 3998. I think it is very easy to get overburdened with worrying abiout the effects of what we do, I am in no way condoning what has been done as regards best practise, but I think we could run the risk of getting too 'precious'about it if you get what i mean.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think it comes down to aiming for minimum impact. The argument that using spikes causes a few small wounds that will heal is perfectly valid, especially when you think of the damage done to trees by boring insects, woodpeckers, squirrels, windy days etc etc- the trees survive, fine in 99% of cases. They have an inbuilt machanism, which is wht they have outlastd most animal species. However, the point of not using spikes, and of catrrying out BS3998 pruning cuts, is surely little more than trying to minimise our impact from what we as a race see as essential works (safety of humans, making space for developments etc etc) and being able to hold our heads up and say 'I have been of minimum impact, therefore i can sleep at night@. I mean, nobody checks the pruning cuts in the middle of a wood after a windy night and then complains about the bark tears from the damage, and the tree surives perfectly well in our absence, Furthermore we are now, as an industry and a forum, examining such things as 'Natural Fracture Pruning'(ripping branches off which is a millino miles from 3998) or coro cutting, again which bears no resemblance to 3998. I think it is very easy to get overburdened with worrying abiout the effects of what we do, I am in no way condoning what has been done as regards best practise, but I think we could run the risk of getting too 'precious'about it if you get what i mean.

:congrats::congrats:

I think that pretty much sums it up!