Hello trailer liscence!

Gareth jones

I've been looking into sorting out a trailer licence but was wandering if any body knows what catagory you need and what it entitles you to?

got a normal Driving licence, Passed in 2008 so im not one of the lucky ones to pass before 1997... :lol: my little mum can tow a trailer over 750 kg and i cant.. i feel belittled as a man and need to sort this out for work!

can anbody explain the licence types in plain english unlike the direct gov website?

thankyouplease

you currently have a b license which is car

you need B+E entitlement to use a bigger trailer

as part of your B entitlement you also havee provisional B+E although you might need to send away to get it added but then the same rules apply as a normal provisional

you would need l plates and some one with a trailer licenece and over 21 to be in the car with you

hope that helps

Rather than taking the test to allow you to tow a trailer behind a transit or similar i would be inclined to go for a class 2 hgv liscence - this will allow you to tow bigger trailers and drive any ridged vehicle !! much better idea in my eyes plus it allowsyou to hire in bigger cehicles for bigger jobs oh and its not to much more trouble to get a class 2 liscence than it is to get a trailer liscence - well so im told !!!

Rather than taking the test to allow you to tow a trailer behind a transit or similar i would be inclined to go for a class 2 hgv liscence - this will allow you to tow bigger trailers and drive any ridged vehicle !! much better idea in my eyes plus it allowsyou to hire in bigger cehicles for bigger jobs oh and its not to much more trouble to get a class 2 liscence than it is to get a trailer liscence - well so im told !!!

Not strictly true sorry.

Passing a cat C test (old class 2) still means you can't tow a trailer over 750kg! it does not give a B+E entitlement.

your options are B+E test and a couple of days training circa £500

Cat C1 test to drive a 7.5tonner needs a medical, theory hazard perception and CPC tests and training circa £1500 all in (still cant tow a trailer!)

Cat C test You can do this straight from B once you have had a medical and taken theory and hazard perception tests + CPC tests and training £1600ish you can drive a rigid vehicle without weight restriction and a trailer upto 750kg

Cat C+E test allows you to drive anything including an artic but you need to do Cat C first and all the associated tests the C+E training + test will probably be about £800 on top of what cat C cost you.

So the options are B+E for less than 500 quid probably or go the whole hog and spend about 2.5k and be able to drive almost anything. Whichever you do both wil help your CV one perhaps more than the other!

goodluck

Fraid not it will only allow you to drive anything rigid, the 750kg rule will still apply to trailers.

R

hmmmm lots must have changed since 2003 , i worked for cannon and had the whole trailer problem and rather than put me through the trailer test they wanted to put me through class 2 which in their words would cancel out the trailer issue . but i now stand corrected lol

theese rules have been in since 1997 chances are they didn't really understand them! alot of people still dont or they were going to put you through C+E which is two test that would have given you B+E confused yet? I was for about 5 years!:laugh1::laugh1:

Not strictly true sorry.

Passing a cat C test (old class 2) still means you can't tow a trailer over 750kg! it does not give a B+E entitlement.

your options are B+E test and a couple of days training circa £500

Cat C1 test to drive a 7.5tonner needs a medical, theory hazard perception and CPC tests and training circa £1500 all in (still cant tow a trailer!)

Cat C test You can do this straight from B once you have had a medical and taken theory and hazard perception tests + CPC tests and training £1600ish you can drive a rigid vehicle without weight restriction and a trailer upto 750kg

Cat C+E test allows you to drive anything including an artic but you need to do Cat C first and all the associated tests the C+E training + test will probably be about £800 on top of what cat C cost you.

So the options are B+E for less than 500 quid probably or go the whole hog and spend about 2.5k and be able to drive almost anything. Whichever you do both wil help your CV one perhaps more than the other!

goodluck

Hi matt,

a mate of mine thought he was towing a chipper less than 750kg for over a year with a normal driving licence and the police finally cought up with him and corrected him... not to mention the full load on board.

its alot of money but once its done its done! Cat C then C+E it is then... :001_tt2: better get the old highway code out and brush up on a few things!!

cheers for the help